Want to get my divemaster in the PI ...but where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenny Kimchee

Registered
Reaction score
I want to do my dive master course this summer in the Philippines and am trying to decide where I want to go. I’ve already eliminated Boracay (mediocre diving), Palawan (too remote), and Subic (not enough coral) as destinations. I’ve been to Sabang about six times and know the pros (convenient location, plentiful and easy-to-get-to dive sites, decent diving, lots of long stay housing options) and the cons (kinda dirty, tons of vendors, no beach in Sabang Bay, average diving).

I’m tempted to go back to Sabang again (I’m a creature of habit) but I’m wondering if I should break out of my routine and check out another place…and this is where you guys come in.

I’m looking for the following:

Good/great scuba

Quiet, relaxing location

Reasonable priced long-stay accommodation (i.e. apartment, studio)

Decent nightlife (not necessarily over the top, but no chirping crickets, either)

Places I’m considering are:

Moalboal

Malapascua

Dumaguete

Bohol

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Is the plan just to get the DM or do you plan on getting Instructor certification as well? I would maybe recommend checking with one of those dive shop chains that have various locations in the Cebu (Visaya region). That way, maybe they would be willing to rotate you around the different spots. Again, I don't know if they actually do that, but personally I think that would be a great idea (if you plan to spend a long time after getting your certifications). Also, not sure if they just hire foreigners who are just DM's.

As for nighlife, I guess Moalboal has some bars. Same with Alona beach. Dumaguete (well actually Dauin where you would be diving is dead, but it's a cheap/ long trike ride into Dumaguete City where there are clubs).

Malapascua would be depressing... Pretty dead there unless you like singing karaoke with the locals... :D

moalboal has one bar... there were 3 of us there when i was there.. DEAD

i like pakman's idea. Try Sea Explorers, they have 5 locations in the Visayas i believe

1 more thing. I presume your Korean... You could check with some of the Korean dive shops on Mactan. They'll likely be doing day trips to various areas (say Moalboal, Cabilao, Balicasag,etc). But again, if that's really your cup of tea (hearding fellow Koreans around, that is). Also, plenty of action, uh I mean nightlife, around Cebu City/ Mactan :D

Get your DM in PG. Study. Do not go to a Korean owned or operated business. Study. Stay out of the bars. Study. Leave the girls alone. Study. Do not worry about the sights in the water because you won't have time to see them. Study. Get a quiet room. Study. Learn as much about the business as you can while you're there. Oh...and study.

If he is serious about getting his DM...he needs to be serious. I have a candiate that will go through this summer and he is studying his materials now. If you want to know the trade and be a professional...STUDY! He can live a bit after graduation...<grin>

Babydamulag:
Get your DM in PG. Study. Do not go to a Korean owned or operated business. Study. Stay out of the bars. Study. Leave the girls alone. Study. Do not worry about the sights in the water because you won't have time to see them. Study. Get a quiet room. Study. Learn as much about the business as you can while you're there. Oh...and study.
ahhhh, he's not trying to be a monk is he? :D
This should be:
Study
go to any of the Korean owned or operated Business
Study? maybe
Party with the local girls
etc, etc

Oh yeah, I'd agree with pakman's suggestion. Another suggestion would be to DM in Mactan, its just that the diving is so so.

Back
Top Bottom