Want to dive for Jewelry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A diver I met told me about this volunteer/paid organization he belongs to that hunts for lost jewelry/phones/keys/items that people have dropped in the water. I'm not affiliated with it and my treasure is getting lionfish & bugs that pays per pound nicely at the seafood wholesaler. But haven't seen this posted on SB and might be of interest for an experienced diver where ever you are located.

It's called “ The Ring Finders ” (TRF) and it's an organization that helps people locate and recover lost jewelry as well as other articles. Though it started as metal detecting, it has now expanded to underwater and many other 'finding' areas. TRF has a $65 membership fee, but a lot of people visit their page so it might be worth it to you the diver. They will help you set up a “Bio” page on their website and it has a strong following on Reddit with success stories posted. Each “ Finder “ can specify the type of recovery (UW +/- Land) they will do and also whether they just volunteer or if they charge gas money or a percentage of the recovered value. The diver I met just does it underwater & voluntarily to hear the screams of joy when an owner gets their lost item back. It gives him a lot of satisfaction to know he helped someone else out. Any money that someone offers, he usually donates to a local pet shelter. He's got a lot of success stories(and a lot of new friends). Again, I'm not affiliated, Just thought it was pretty cool.

TRF.jpg

Interesting. I lost my wedding ring by Devil's Grotto in Grand Cayman back in 2000 - never found it and called the dive shop there every month or so for almost a year afterwards. Locally, I had a friend call and tell me his wife lost her engagement ring at a nearby beach - everyone on the beach was looking for it for oven an hour. He asked if I could come with my scuba gear and look. I got my gear together and found it within 15 minutes to applause and cheers on the beach. It was a fun (but totally lucky) search.

Back
Top Bottom