Want to buy my first air cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider buying at your local dive shop. Likely same price, they may throw in a VIP and Fill, maybe even negotiate a deal on a fill package. Also supporting them helps to ensure they'll be around to supply you with fills and VIPs in future :)

We went with Faber HP 80s which we just love. Pretty well neutrally buoyant and we dive with little to no weight, small enough we can get 4 in our small SUV trunk behind the seat, and I think they will last forever! Great investment. If I could do it again, I might have gotten 100s for me (as my wife always does so much better on air than I do .. but that's another story).

HP80s work well single tank for shorter people. They look like soup cans on the back of taller folks. I dived HP80s for several years. Loved them single tank.

What is the average cost to fill Blue Steel 100 cu ft cylinder? The reason I ask is to determine whether I should use the dive shop’s aluminum cylinders free of charge rather than using my cylinders and paying for gas?

Consider buying at your local dive shop. Likely same price, they may throw in a VIP and Fill, maybe even negotiate a deal on a fill package. Also supporting them helps to ensure they'll be around to supply you with fills and VIPs in future :)

We went with Faber HP 80s which we just love. Pretty well neutrally buoyant and we dive with little to no weight, small enough we can get 4 in our small SUV trunk behind the seat, and I think they will last forever! Great investment. If I could do it again, I might have gotten 100s for me (as my wife always does so much better on air than I do .. but that's another story).
Our local shop actually tells people to buy tanks online because they are sold for within 2% of their cost (including shipping) and not worth dealing with.

What is the average cost to fill Blue Steel 100 cu ft cylinder? The reason I ask is to determine whether I should use the dive shop’s aluminum cylinders free of charge rather than using my cylinders and paying for gas?
It depends on where you are. We charge 8 bucks for a fill regardless of tank size from 50s to 130s. Nitrox is more depending on the blend.
If you are getting free fills use them. Aluminum has disadvantages when it comes to buoyancy characteristics but those can easily be dealt with using proper weighting. The only question is can you use those cylinders anytime you want to? Having your own means if you decide you want to dive before the shop opens or after it closes, you grab your tanks and go.
Brand of cylinder doesn't matter. Air is air. I know some shops charge more for HP fills using the "more wear and tear on the compressor" line. Some, even today can't pump more than 3000 PSI or won't. Which is why all of my cylinders are LP. I know I'll always get a good fill and often a "gooder to great" fill if the person doing it is just pumping everybody to 3000 at a busy location. When I fill my own I always have a great fill.

Fill costs are very regional. So check the websites of other shops in your region. Using aluminums when you have access to steel - Why? Steels are so much nicer to dive.

I paid $777.00 for two blue steel HP 100 cu ft cylinders.

And this time next year we will be hearing questions about putting them together into a set of doubles...

Good choice.
There won’t be a next year about these cylinders, I am returning them because they are too heavy for me. Advanced age is not my favorite past-time.

Sorry to keep coming back with the same old question but as I said in another response the steel 100 cu ft cylinders are too heavy for me so I have elected to return them. I am inclined to buy 2 Faber LP 85 cu ft for easier mobilization and lighter cylinders. However, I don’t know how the difference between LP and HP will impact my diving experience?
Currently using aluminum HP 80 cu ft cylinders while training.
Or I could purchase a certain number of cylinder fills and get an aluminum cylinder at no charge? For reasons unexplained I want to go with steel cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom