want to buy a new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when i told him what i was looking for that i wanted a cold water reg that i can grow with and eventually be able to use nitrox with and possibly wreck diving in the future and that i was looking at possibly the titan lx supreme he told me the apex line was just as good that the xtx40 was a slight better breather than the titan lx supreme and an all around great reg and them being owned by aqualung had great cust. service and parts avail. and the price for the reg and octo was good about 460 and change

The XTX40 is a "slightly" better breather than the LX Supreme but that is because the Supreme is slightly de-tuned to be resistant to freeflows in cold water. Otherwise they are much the same and the Supreme could be adjusted to match the XTX. Just make sure you are being quoted on the XTX and not ATX series of Apeks regs, the ATX is the older design with a smaller exhaust tee and is currently being sold as a discounted package by some shops. There is absolutely nothing wrong the ATX but if you can get the XTX with the optional larger exhaust tee for that money then I would go that way.

yup i had acutally ask about that the reg that he showed me had the compact exhaust t but iwant the larger one and he said that switching between the two is easy

I would go With XTX50 instead of XTX40. XTX50 has an knob that adjust cranking pressure so you can adjust it on the fly based on conditions. heading into the current you will need to detune it a bit. It is also especially useful in very cold water as the seat gets harder and a reg that is tuned on the edge will start flowing. With that knob you do not have to compromise the breathability as you can always tune it on the fly.

when i told him what i was looking for that i wanted a cold water reg that i can grow with and eventually be able to use nitrox with and possibly wreck diving in the future and that i was looking at possibly the titan lx supreme he told me the apex line was just as good that the xtx40 was a slight better breather than the titan lx supreme and an all around great reg and them being owned by aqualung had great cust. service and parts avail. and the price for the reg and octo was good about 460 and change

---------- Post added January 18th, 2014 at 10:12 AM ----------

the reg i have now is not and xl or lx

Keep in mind that MOST, not just some, of what is typically bandied about by salesmen with regards to regulator performance is nonsense. But also keep in mind that people buy stuff for all kinds of reasons. If you want a new regulator and it will make you happy, knock yourself out. But you won't actually get a better regulator, or at least 'better enough' to make the slightest bit of difference in your diving. That is, unless something is wrong with your current reg.

A balanced 2nd stage might make a bit of difference but probably not enough to warrant an entire new regulator. But I'm Mr. Cheap, I never spend more than $40-50 on a 1st or 2nd stage. Well, there was the $600 or so on the PRAM restoration, but that's different.

hey everyone im looking to buy a new regulator but not sure what to get...way to many options.. im from the northeast and have been diving for about 2 years im looking to get something i can grow with, reliable and and well built and have for years i don't do winter diving but would eventually like to as well as deep or even wreck any suggestions or advise would be great
Give the Scubapro MK17/G260 a look.

yup i had acutally ask about that the reg that he showed me had the compact exhaust t but iwant the larger one and he said that switching between the two is easy
Switching between the two is easy but is it FREE ie. from compact to large. I believe only the 100 and 200 package come with both choices as standard!! Better ask.

BTW, the latest XTX is completely different from its predecessor. Please take a look at Apeks web site for info.

Do not get confused. Any name brand regulator apparently even including something called a Hog are good regulators. The Titan LX (yes, I am in fact dyslexic) or the Apeks regulators, or that new SPG260 (looks cool) and a bunch more will be fine. I like the Titan LX because I am familiar with the first stage and second stage and parts are everywhere.

I like the Atomic because it is made in USA but I do not get hung up on that as long as it is not made by the Chi-Coms. To whatever extent I can avoid Chi-Com stuff, I do, not always possible in an integrated world economy.

N

Switching between the two is easy but is it FREE ie. from compact to large. I believe only the 100 and 200 package come with both choices as standard!! Better ask.

BTW, the latest XTX is completely different from its predecessor. Please take a look at Apeks web site for info.

Centrals, my wife's xtx 50 came with both exhausts

Centrals, my wife's xtx 50 came with both exhausts
So I was wrong!

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 05:12 PM ----------

So did mine, but interestingly my friends only came with one.
Same thing happened to my mate!! He was given one choice!

According to Apeks both versions should be included as standard for the latest XTX-50!!!
Interesting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom