Want the best first (canister)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no point in a 50w HID. Battery canister would be huge (like the old SLA) burn time would be short, and it would drown out anyone else's lights making it near impossible for anyone to signal you if they needed your attention.

Even the 21w may be too strong for some applications.

Has anybody taken a picture of say the neighbors house or down an alley with the different HID wattages for us "don't have one, know what to buy" guys to see the real differences?

The 50watt HID by Metalsub looks interesting. Obviously it's way more powerful than the 21watt lights everyone is talking about, but also has an adjustable light output, so you don't have to use all 50watts if you don't want.

They say you can adjust it down to 28 watts. Burn times are listed as 195 minutes at 28watts and 110 minutes at 50watts.

The battery doesn't look too big and I like that it is sealed. The battery level indicator light is a nice feature too. They also have fixed output 24watt lights.

I don't know. Metalsub looks like they have been thinking outside of the box that the other mfrs. are stuck in.

ronrosa:
The 50watt HID by Metalsub looks interesting. Obviously it's way more powerful than the 21watt lights everyone is talking about, but also has an adjustable light output, so you don't have to use all 50watts if you don't want.

They say you can adjust it down to 28 watts. Burn times are listed as 195 minutes at 28watts and 110 minutes at 50watts.

The battery doesn't look too big and I like that it is sealed. The battery level indicator light is a nice feature too. They also have fixed output 24watt lights.

I don't know. Metalsub looks like they have been thinking outside of the box that the other mfrs. are stuck in.

I agree. Does anybody have one???????

Metalsub looks like a great light! I can't say much about it since I haven't seen one in action, but I can tell you about my Greenforce light! It's based on a similar design where the battery cannister is sealed and you can use a variety of light heads. You can choose from a 10 Watt LED light head to a 50 Watt Halogen for video purposes, the design is about total flexibility. You also have a choise in the type of battery to use. I have the Flex III Battery with the 21Watt HID light head, with interchangeable lenses. The battery gives me 180 hours of burn time and the design is bullet proof. I have over 30 dives with it, and it has never failed me. Check it out it's made by Belgins you know

I don't think the halcyon beam quality is any better than the salvo. I have used them both and like them both equally as far as beam. The salvo just has an edge in reliability. The halyon isn't a better light though.

As far the the 35 watt and 50 watt HID. I talked to a designer of lights and they said once you start getting above 21 to 24 watts you really need a larger reflector to take advantage of the light, and that the reflector size starts getting unmanageble on a hand held light. He was using terms mostly over my head but that was what it all boiled down to for me. I understood him to mean that a 21 watt is about as bright as a 35 with the same reflector. I could have interpreted him wrong though.

Brent

hunter991:
I don't think the halcyon beam quality is any better than the salvo. I have used them both and like them both equally as far as beam. The salvo just has an edge in reliability. The halyon isn't a better light though.

Brent

The light the W/A bulb casts is very different thant the light the Brightstar casts. In color tone, in consistancy, in fill, in lack of flicker. It it doesn't have the famous Salvo pink dot, or the backside blind spot all of the new (long) Brightstars have. It is a very different beam. Had 'em both side by side for a year - apples and oranges.

You're right about the reflector. I went to the EKPP reflector on the 21 Salvo I'm using. The beam isn't as tight as the beam the extended schroud #3 throws off the 18W Salvo, but the volume of light is greater (larger diameter) and brighter.

---
Ken

Bigcape:
I was looking at Metal Sub 50w hid
Bigcape:
Thanks all, I was curious if anyone has gone BRIGHT like a 50w HID?
ronrosa:
Bigcape:
I agree. Does anybody have one???????
The Metalsub lights are great! They are superior in design to the old clamp design canisters with the vulnerable switch on the top, and a single mounting location for the canister. While I no longer dive with a 50W HID from them, I did do a nice little review on them here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124232

My current 24W is amazing, good light, amazing battery life, very versatile and robust, will take a beating, switch on the light head and can battery can be mounted anywhere so you are not limited to a single configuration.

If you have any specific questions, I will be more then happy to answer them for you.

Look up www.Metalsub-USA.com for yours!

Currently running the variable watt metalsub 3 settings 21w hid 36 w 50 w only negatives are its to bright for photography and the unit has to be sent back to metalsub for bulb replacement as after the bulb is replaced they put it in the chamber to ensure the seal is perfect. Actualy the battery is not a bad size and I have yet to find a better mounting bracket on anything else . There not cheap paid about 1200.00 for mine but you get what you pay for. Get about 2.5 hrs burn time on 36 w little less than 2 on 50 w generaly in water in mid 40,s to 50,s find I get a lot better burn time in warmer water. also has a power level indicator which is nice its simple but its nice to have green light full power yellow half red approx 10 min remaining flashing red will usualy shut down in 1 to 2 min. If I was looking for another light I would buy the same again in a heartbeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom