Want the best first (canister)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigcape

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want a canister light. I would rather spend 1000.00+ dollars now than to have several in closet not being used.

I like ALOT of light and with my 35w halo, well its okay. but it is old and heavy!!!

I was looking at Metal Sub 50w hid and or GreenForce LED's

If money didn't matter and you wanted the Rolls of lights what would you pick.

1) super lumens

2) compact

3) light weight. (carrying out of water)

Thanks all

Salvo 21w adjustable Liion HID. That is one kick-butt light.

Ditto on the Salvo 21W. It's what I ultimately went with and have been very, very happy with it.

I've been using one from these guys since 2003 without any issues at all:

http://shop.extreme-exposure.com/

For me, the thing has been like the Energizer Bunny...

You can find a product that is astonishingly similar for fewer bucks over at Salvo.

But you may want to ask these other guys about their 21W Brightstar bulbs.

As the bulbs for mine are somewhere around $235 for a new bulb, I'm occasionally real thankful that the thing hasn't bit the dust yet. I'm informed that new Brightstar bulbs are much less expensive to replace. (Helps if you don't drop them.....)

Any time someone uses the word "Best" all sorts of warning bells go off, but the EE products have used on some fairly huge dives and if mine is a fair example, I've not had a minutes worth of trouble since I got it. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

FWIW. Your mileage may most definitely vary...

Doc

Looking at the new batteries on the Halcyon's are interesting. I'd like to know if they are waterproof the way they are sealed there. If so, that would be worth spending the extra money for the 18w.

I remain highly skeptical of "waterproof batteries." While the new Hancyon light design has reduced the exposure of the batt to water, I highly doubt a full flood would be harmless to the batt.

As a guy who did hundreds of perfect dives with his 18's, then flooded both of them in a freakish week in 2005, I know all about replacing batteries. And I can tell you without reservation that if you flood your light, your batt will be toast. Even in the new lights.

To Doc's point - if you want "the best", I'd go with the Halcyon or "EE" and the W/A bulb. It is the best light out there. The best beam, the sweetest light, the fullest coverage. Its just emits the best looking light.

If you want the most rugged, the Salvo with the new BS bulb rocks. Hot strikes, jolts, bumps - you can't break the thing. Its a tank. The beam and light isn't even in the same league as the W/A, but it is one tough light. And the bulb is significantly cheaper to replace.

If you can figger out how to actually break one.

---
Ken

I used Dive rite 10w HID Canister light happy on it

To me,

The "best light" is the brightest one which works reliably. A super bright, but finnicky light that breaks often is not the "best" to me. Neither is the super-rugged, but comparitively dim light. The GreenForce is great, but that floodlamp pattern on their 21w head just is not where it's at.

That is why the 21w Salvo gets my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom