Want Florida Dive Resort good for non divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather old

Contributor
Reaction score
Help!

I dive a lot...my daughter (19 years old) dives a little...my wife doesn't dive at all. So on a typical vacation I have to pick a resort that is on the beach for wife and daughter. Close to shopping for them as well (walking distance). But it has to have diving on site for me or within a very short shuttle ride (15-20 minutes to the dock)

Does such a place exist in Florida?

Thanks!

Mouth Breather

What area of florida were you thinking of?

Lauderdale by the Sea migh tbe a good idea. Unlimited shore diving with 3 reefs on the beach. I like to stay at the pier pointe resort (www.pier-pointe.com).

Also if you wanted to do the boat thing i think Pomano is 30 mins north (if that) and Ft. Lauderdale is 30 mins south. (if that). Someone tell me if I'm wrong about the distances.

Wendy,

I have never brought my family to Florida before so it should be someplace nice for sightseeing above the surface as well as below. My impression is that Key Largo might be a good destination but is there a resort that meets my needs? (Fun and interesting for the wife while I'm underwaater).

I will be going to a week long meeting in Orlando next month as well...should take a trip to a fresh water spring? How far are they from Orlando?

Thanks

Mouth Breather

Key West is a much more interesting city for non-divers than is Key Largo. There are multiple dive shops right in town, and Looe Key ( www.reef-divers.com has info) is about 20 miles back toward Miami. Both Key West and Looe Key dives are mostly shallow reefs, with some deeper wrecks also.

Ft. Lauderdale up through West Palm Beach is another possibility. This is drift diving a 65' (inside edge) or 90' (outside edge) reef in most areas, and quite a few wrecks. Ft. Lauderdale is probably the best for the non-divers.

My non-diving wife didn't like Key Largo.

During a recent trip to Key Largo my non-diving wife went to Theater-by-the-sea and had a wonderful time.
It also helped her get over some fear issue's & take a Intro to Scuba class. (we go back in July to get her certified).

There are several resorts there with beaches. Para-sailing, Jet-ski's, evening sails, Swimming with dolphins, boat rentals, etc, etc.

Depending on you wife's interest several places up the east coast would also work. Laudersale, wpb.
Maybe Kbeck can chime in with some options up taht way?

I used to like Key West, but its gotten so crowded lately that it seems just a tourist trap to me. And I know you don't want your 19 yr old daughter on Duval st at night.

(how come we never want our kids to be as stupid as we were???)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom