Wannadive for Beginner Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaias..There is a high degree of competition on Bonaire in the diving industry. Consequently, they deliver a high level or service. I've dove with quite a few dive ops over the years & can honestly say that anyone I've ever dove with would be a good fit for a beginner diver. Just be up front with them when you check in and let them know what you want. I'm sure you'll not have any problems.

Hi isaias,

My wife and I took a couple of guided dives with Wannadive this year, and we were very happy with them.

Wannadive's guided dive system as I've seen it is through a sign-up board, so the dives may be a few people or the full capacity of the boat. The boats aren't the large cattle-herd type though, so even if it is a full boat it's not many people (sorry, I don't remember exactly the capacity). The dive masters are friendly and very attentive and they were alert to people's skill levels and needs.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Bonaire itself is a great experience, I am sure you will get a flood of encouragement from anyone who's made the trip. Happy diving to you!

Thanks for the fast responses!

Question? Are the guided dives from a boat or from shore? I'm assuming they are from shore. Hopefully, since the shore dives are the area where my practice would be needed.

We did one boat dive with them. The DM did not check the conditions, got the whole group into the water, and had us swimming into a swim spa strength current. It was not an enjoyable dive, and would probably have been even worse for a new diver.

You will not find a better dive op than Bart and the gang at Wannadive. Super nice folks. Most diving on Bonaire is non guided so don't expect the hand holding you get most places, Bonaire diving is all about diving freedom. I am sure you can rent guides but don't expect them as part of a package.

When you have only a couple of dives on your resume, diver freedom is not the first thing on your mind. At least not for me. I don't feel ready to venture out on my own yet, and would need some guidance.

Mabe boat dives are the way to go, but I believe most places are offering guided dives with the dive master for a fee. This is the route I'd take. Also, since I don't dive much I plan to do some local diving around where I live to get better at my skills.

Been to Bonaire twice and used Wannadive both times. If we go back I am pretty sure we would use them again. The first time my wife maybe had less than 10 dives under her belt and hadn't dove in a while - she came up too fast from only a few feet but she freaked out. Bob talked to her, and calmed her down and helped with her descent, and weights, etc....

Each trip we took a guided tour with Wanna Dive. The first trip was a night time dive around the town pier. As far as the guides went they did a good job of keeping tabs on everyone which was impressive given the traffic under the pier at night.
The second trip we had one of the DMs take us out on their "house reef" to show us some sea horses.

They have tanks at four locations (Golden Reef Inn, Bari, WannaDive Hut, their location near Windsock, maybe more we didn't know about), that was convenient especially when we stayed at GRI the first trip.

We didn't do the boat dives so I can't comment on that.

Bonaire is a great place to build your confidence in shore diving and the folks at Wannadive are certainly a good choice. Have you written to them and asked about hiring a DM to get you started on some shore dives? Once you have done a few you will see how easy it is and can venture out on your own. I would suggest starting at some of the "easier" spots such as Windsock. Swim out to where you want to drop, turn and take a compass heading to shore, drop down, find a marker and note its depth, choose left or right, when you reach your predetermined air consumption/time, turn and head back to the marker. Then use your compass heading to get to shore. When we were new to shore diving in Bonaire we would only dive sites that had boat moorings so we could use that as our marker for return so you might want to think about that to help your confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom