Wallace/3 Mile Barge 8-8-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got out today (8-8-07) out of Orange Beach with Gary from Gary’s Gulf Divers www.gulfdiver.net and was greeted to perfect conditions. The ocean was so flat and the sky was so blue that you couldn’t tell where the ocean stopped and the sky began. We made quick work on our trip out to the Wallace Liberty Ship and I couldn’t wait to get in. The water was still a bit hazy with visibility at 30 feet, but I could see where I was and enough to enjoy the abundant amount of fish that swarmed all over the site. I stayed on the top-most part of the site with a max depth of 93 fsw, water temp at max depth 81*, with surface water temps at 86*. Climbed back on the boat and we made our way to the 3 mile barge (not to be confused with three barges). Jumped in and saw quite a few moon jellies on site, but they were easily avoided (I did not see one stinging nettle all day). I made several laps of the barge snapping photos ‘till it was time to again make my ascent. Upon surfacing I saw a dolphin hanging out about twelve feet from the boat. I went to take a picture and realized that I turned off my camera during my ascent (stupid move). Max depth 37 fsw, water temp at max depth 79*. All in all it was a great day out in the gulf, here are some pics:

013.JPG

054.JPG

0811.JPG

0291.JPG

1241.JPG

085.JPG

0561.JPG

Wallace is my favorite Liberty Ship :)

With it being broken up I must agree that the Wallace is much more interesting than the Allen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom