walking with underwater grear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahmed Yahya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

i recently purchased an Ikelite housing and dome port for my D7000 and sigma 10-20mm and took it for a try in Sharm El Sheikh. i found carrying and walking with the gear around the hotel and to/from the house reef a quite heavy job as the rig weighs more than 6 kg. i am also concerned on how should i carry it properly ? is it safe to just hold it by one handle ?
any ideas for a carrying method ?

I find that lanyards are the best solution. I use one for compact systems and two for dSLR's to attach it to my BCD.
Usually on my way to the water my hands are completely free - mask on the hand, fins on the upper BCD strap, and camera attached to D-rings on the BCD.
Once underwater, you can extend the lanyards without disconnecting them.

As long as the screws are well tightened, it should be fine carrying it by one handle. Housings are made from very strong materials.

Don't try to clip off the camera (other than a safety lanyard) while you are swimming. If you take that rig on your dive you will have to hold it the whole time. I have a much smaller set up and clipped it off a few times. Inevitably it will get twisted around and bang the lens into something metal and scratch it. Now it's always in my hand.

I also recommend that if you pull up to a dive site and the dive breifing calls for some currents or surge that you leave the camera on the boat if you are a new diver as your profile suggests. Trying to handle a rig that large and currents etc will end up most likely with you banging your camera into something or worse you damaging the corals trying to get bouyancy under control.

I've got over 100 dives now and I will still leave the camera on the boat if the conditions are unfavorable. Just remember you don't need to document everything and many dives are more enjoyable with your hands free. If you really need a picture to show someone what you saw you can always search google.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom