WAL questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texass

Reaction score
OK, I'm thinking of going cheap. Trying to transform myself into a drysuit AND digital diver at the same time is getting expensive!!!

Are there any special requirements for an underwater WAL or will a topside WAL also work? (note: spending $80-$100 on a POS isn't my idea of a bargain-I'd rather wait)

Thanks,

You have to options.

1. If your camera accepts a wide angle lens, your housing will need a dome port attachment. Most likely you would have an SLR to use one. There are a few exceptions such as the Nikon Coolipix 5400.

2. Most digital housings allow for a conversion lens to be screwed onto the housing. Sea & Sea, Epoque and Inon make these lenses. You will see a lot of people in the forum using them and they can be quite good.

Refresh my memory, Des....what camera and housing do you have? INON and S&S both make good quality WA lenses that mount to the front of the Oly and Ikelite housings. They run $300-350.

Don't you knoe by now that cheap and digital don't go together! :)

Whichever WAL you get I STRONGLY suggest you get a lens dock with a leash. It is so easy for that WAL to slip from your hands while putting it on or taking if off underwater. This is a fairly inexpensive lens dock with a leash. The first time it happens you will grin behind your mouthpiece and exhale a sigh of relief because you had the leash. I have already done so.

YES....the Digital Lens Dock is a must! I've been using the leach system since my very first camera and I don't change lenses underwater without one attached. I couldn't tell you how many time I've dropped those lenses, no matter how careful I was. It's some of the best insurance you can have and you can't beat the price!

It's the ubiquitous Oly C-5050 w/ PT-15 housing.

It needs a WAL and Strobe REAL bad.

I've tried the INON site, but my Japaneese isn't up to par. I keep getting a "Someday we'll put some info here" message on their American site. From Yuzo's site I guess I need the Type 1.

We're looking at $250~$300 for the WAL plus another $500+/- for either the YS-90DX or the D-180. I need to get better info than the sites offer before I invest that amount.

That's why I'm picking y'alls brains.

I have the S&S YS90Dx and have always been extremely pleased with it. However, if I was buying today, or if I had an extra $500, I'd buy the INON D-180. Gilligan has one and he can explain the actual workings. It about the same strength and power my YS90 is, has similar controls, but I really want it for it's size..about half the size and weight of mine.

Try this for Yuzo's site....In English

I also have the S&S WA lens, 'L'. I haven't used in much on the PT-15 but so far from what I can see there's no blurring and only the tiniest vignetting on full zoom. I think it's about $50 cheaper than the INON.

Texass, the 5050 takes the Type 2 Inon WAL which threads directly onto the PT-015 housing. My C4000Z takes the Type 1 and required me to change the lens ring on my PT-010 housing.

Go to the Inon site and click on the UWl-100 link to check the lens types for the respective cameras and housings. Scroll down to the end of the document for the chart.

I have the Inon D-180 and am happy with it. I especially like its size and the built in focus light.
This is my make-shift handle and tray with the D-180 and the Inon WAL on a GB Undersea lens dock that I mounted on a piece of Plexiglas.

setup2.jpg

Gilligan:
I have the Inon D-180 and am happy with it. I especially like its size and the built in focus light.
This is my make-shift handle and tray with the D-180 and the Inon WAL on a GB Undersea lens dock that I mounted on a piece of Plexiglas.

Do you have an opinon on the Inon D-180s??

Thanks

The D-180S does not have the built in focus light. It has an LED light instead. I think the built in focus light in the D-180 is a big plus. I would not get the D-180S for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom