Wakatobi, Woooohooo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the response, I respect your opinion, divepix,
and you do bring up some good points.
The truth is I really did enjoy the first dive every day at Wakatobi on the expansive wall at the fringing reef.
In addition KBR did not have the large fish, but they aren't making inflated claims that they have "the best house reef in the world" which one would expect to have an appropriate fish life at. Also absent at Wakatobi were the cuttlefish, but that is popular species the local fisherman target for harvesting.

I just returned from a week at KBR and 10 days on the Ocean Rover across North Sulawesi.
At KBR the General Manager, Kim, from Tasik Ria (KBR's sister resort) was there training staff. He had spent 2 years at Wakatobi and commented that Lorenz was going through a nasty divorce at that time I visited and was having difficulty keeping staff members onboard, so indeed you are right that we had different trips as it must have affected the operation.

In contrast, KBR said it was particularly light during the week we were there and most days we had 2 guests per guide but never more than three guests per guide.

While I never would consider a trip based solely on price, Wakatobi's $2860.00 for a ten day trip with 9 days of diving far outweighs KBR's $1495.00 for 10 day/9 days diving with all meals included *click here*

Thanks, RSdiver. KBR is definitely cheaper (actually ridiculously cheap for what you get and cheaper than I paid in 2002.), but here is the proper comparison, for what it's worth.
Wakatobi 10 night trip: $2,640 (not $2,860) for garden villa with flight from Bali. KBR villas are all oceanfront but don't compare (no beach) in view to Wakatobi's oceanfront, so I would compare KBR villas to gardenview at Wakatobi.
KBR 10 night trip: $1,495 plus about $350 for Manado flight from Singapore or Bali. So total $1,835.
So KBR $800 cheaper.
KBR pros: Cheaper, more numerous and easier to find unusual critters.
Wakatobi pros: Better food, better house reef (even without big fish), prettier location with nice beach for swimming, nicer reefs and better visibility.

Obviously KBR is the choice for lower budgets and people whose main interest is seeing and photographing critters.
Both resorts are great and I would return to either in a heartbeat.

BTW, how was the Ocean Rover trip?

QUOTE=RSdiver]Thank you for the response, I respect your opinion, divepix,
and you do bring up some good points.
The truth is I really did enjoy the first dive every day at Wakatobi on the expansive wall at the fringing reef.
In addition KBR did not have the large fish, but they aren't making inflated claims that they have "the best house reef in the world" which one would expect to have an appropriate fish life at. Also absent at Wakatobi were the cuttlefish, but that is popular species the local fisherman target for harvesting.

I just returned from a week at KBR and 10 days on the Ocean Rover across North Sulawesi.
At KBR the General Manager, Kim, from Tasik Ria (KBR's sister resort) was there training staff. He had spent 2 years at Wakatobi and commented that Lorenz was going through a nasty divorce at that time I visited and was having difficulty keeping staff members onboard, so indeed you are right that we had different trips as it must have affected the operation.

In contrast, KBR said it was particularly light during the week we were there and most days we had 2 guests per guide but never more than three guests per guide.

While I never would consider a trip based solely on price, Wakatobi's $2860.00 for a ten day trip with 9 days of diving far outweighs KBR's $1495.00 for 10 day/9 days diving with all meals included *click here* [/QUOTE]

divepix:
Thanks, RSdiver. KBR is definitely cheaper (actually ridiculously cheap for what you get and cheaper than I paid in 2002.), but here is the proper comparison, for what it's worth.
Wakatobi 10 night trip: $2,640 (not $2,860) for garden villa with flight from Bali. KBR villas are all oceanfront but don't compare (no beach) in view to Wakatobi's oceanfront, so I would compare KBR villas to gardenview at Wakatobi.
KBR 10 night trip: $1,495 plus about $350 for Manado flight from Singapore or Bali. So total $1,835.
So KBR $800 cheaper.
KBR pros: Cheaper, more numerous and easier to find unusual critters.
Wakatobi pros: Better food, better house reef (even without big fish), prettier location with nice beach for swimming, nicer reefs and better visibility.

Obviously KBR is the choice for lower budgets and people whose main interest is seeing and photographing critters.
Both resorts are great and I would return to either in a heartbeat.

I agree with you and your numbers seem correct, that KBR is at least $800 cheaper, but I take difference when you say that "KBR is the choice for lower budgets",
as this is a complete misnomer, it is first rate and superior to Wakatobi in all ways except for Wakatobi's marketing machine.

Your summary is factual but missing a few points:

1) The staff service at KBR is higher; more staff means more service - from arrival transfers to the dive masters/guest ratio to the food variety.
Since you are not an UW photographer you may not have noticed the KBR carrier baskets. At Wakatobi, one of the staff dropped a guest's camera.

2) The land staff service at KBR is superior.
For example, when you return from your second dive, the restaurant hostess is there to present a menu to you and take your order for lunch.
At Wakatobi, you never have any selection of food, they eat family style and place it at your table. Wakatobi is very remote and this limits guests in many ways.

3) The dive staff at KBR is superior.
KBR Dive masters ask you what you want to photograph, Wakatobi takes you on a "circuit".
For example, one UW photographer asked the KBR dive guide to find a blue-ring Octopus and a Mimic Octopus. By the third day he had done both and the photographs were amazing.

On the first day of diving at Wakatobi we expressed interest in photographing a blue-ring Octopus and were told "you can never take a photo of the blue ring Octopus because it lives in the grassy between the shore and the house reef and divers are not permitted there as it is a preserved habitat for small fish to develop."
We were absolutely floored
as a blue-ring Octopus is on the cover of the Wakatobi marketing brochures and also on the Wakatobi website.

4) Not just service, but value
For years, KBR was charging $300 per day until 9/11 so please don't make it out to be only for the budget minded. Prices were reduced after 9/11 and when other local resorts were started and provided competition to drive prices lower (Lembeh Straits, Minihasa, Thalassa and Tasik Ria resorts).
Wakatobi has no local competitors and they tell you that part of your trip payment is indirectly used to provide the infrastructure to the local town in the form of Electricity, cementways and even direct payments to the local fisherman not to fish their dive areas (although we saw 7 fish traps at Barracuda).

5) Staff longevity
Many of the KBR staff have been there since the 1990's. Only Stefen Raaschak has been at Wakatobi with owner Lorenz since that time and Wakatobi has a VERY high employee turnover rate.

6) Availability of resort supplies
Wakatobi has a VERY limited supply chain - everything they need for the resort must be either flown in on their special charter or found locally and there is no large town in the Tukang Besi area.

Local items at Wakatobi can be risky, for example:
The Wakatobi cook bought a fresh tuna from the local fisherman and our group had it as sushi for every meal. By the 3rd day each of the 32 guests had diarrhea.
KBR has two large towns, Bitung and Manado, that provide their supply chain and we had everything from fresh fruit and corn flakes to service parts for customer's regulators that were different than the brand the KBR resort carries.

7) THE DIVING - more diversity at KBR
Wakatobi has walls with nice coral but very few fish, no cuttlefish, and no sharks.

KBR is in a unique location on the side of the island with two volcanos on it, so the underwater terrain ranges from black, sandy muck diving (e.g. Jahir, TK3) to coral walls (Nudi Falls, Retreat). But KBR also has the added diversity with half of their dive sites just 1KM across the Lembeh strait on Lembeh Island with much more coral encrusted area like divesites "Angel's window" to the wreck of the Kapul Indah. Fish, cuttlefish and turtles can all be seen here besides the small critters you mentioned

I asked Wakatobi dive guides John and Paul where they were going on their vacation and they both told me "KBR".

8) UW Photo Professionals
Since you are not an UW photographer, then you may not have noticed this but Wakatobi can't keep a photo pro at their resort for longer than one season - any reason why?

On my dive trips to PNG, Australia, Solomons, Burma, Thailand, Indonesia, Borneo there are UW photographer professionals at the resorts and liveaboards. Wakatobi touts commercial photographer James Watts, who has been there for free and left some lovely photos, but that was contrived.

Real service means having a photo pro on location to assist customers, like Rod Klein at KBR.

Again, I respect your opinion and know that others that have been to Wakatobi have had good trips, but I disagree and in 15 years of dive travel I could not recommend Wakatobi to anyone when there are far better resorts and staff to go to.

divepix:
Thanks, RSdiver.

BTW, how was the Ocean Rover trip?

Great trip, a fantastic chance to see a variety of dive sites from hot temperature, volcanic diving to spectacular walls in a drift dive several miles long. While there are many dive resorts from Bunaken to Lembeh Strait in North Sulawesi, the liveaboard diving allows you to head up to the more remote areas.

The Siau Island was an especially spectacular divesite with a pristine coral slope that was packed with sealife.

The Para Islands' "Spot X" divesite reminded me of the Socorro Islands pinaccle, Roca Partida with the fantastic schools of fish and sharks.

I had been on the Ocean Rover to Myanmur (aka Burma) before and did not mention the comforts of this dive ship in above statement.

It is fantastic and one of my favorite liveaboards for those who haven't been on it.

Really enjoyed your post. I'm bored at work today and decided to play online. I'm headed to Wakatobi in October and am pretty excited. This will be my 1st major dive trip and I did NO research...my dad called last year and told me he & my mom were going and my husband and I said "When? We'll meet you there!" LOL I'm sure I will not be dissapointed. Of course to meet up with my parents (who I rarely get to see) in an exotic location to dive is the real treat....everything after that is icing and sprinkles!

RSDiver, I don't know why you have such an obsession to turn my posts into an opportunity to rail against Wakatobi. Reread my posts and you will note I love both KBR and Wakatobi. I simply said I liked Wakatobi, thought it was a more idyllic island experience and I did not experience the negatives you describe. I liked the critters better at KBR, but overall experience better at Wakatobi.
You state:
"Since you are not an UW photographer you may not have noticed the KBR carrier baskets. At Wakatobi, one of the staff dropped a guest's camera."
You are pretty presumptous. Not only am I an UW photographer for over 25 years , I did it professionally for 8 years. I have an extensive portfolio, have won many photo contests, been published frequently in major publications and have taught photography for about 15 years. I quit shooting professionally in 1999 when I opened a dive shop, but still enjoy shooting as a hobby and teaching. Many of the photo pro names you drop are personal friends of mine I have known many years. I really don't need someone to carry my camera in a basket - I've been carrying on my own for over 20 years in a wet bag. But the staff at Wakatobi carried my bag.

Suggest you stick with facts in your posts and not assumptions.

You state:
"Again, I respect your opinion and know that others that have been to Wakatobi have had good trips, but I disagree and in 15 years of dive travel I could not recommend Wakatobi to anyone when there are far better resorts and staff to go to.[/QUOTE]"
Fine, don't recommend it and have your opinion, but don't expect others to dislike something because you did. Let people form their own opinion based on their experience.

divepix:
Fine, don't recommend it (wakatobi) and have your opinion, but don't expect others to dislike something because you did. Let people form their own opinion based on their experience.

Just relaying the facts.
But I don't understand how you can want to stifle these facts as relaying experiences to others on this board is exactly what the SCUBABOARD.com promotes.
I'd hate to see others subjected to the same ill treatment we received. When people spend their time and money to travel half way around the world for a Dive Vacation, they are taking a gamble.

Wakatobi hosted us for our vacation and it was dissappointing.

Complaints were made directly to the staff resulting in no changes.

I've not seen this low of a level of service (11 divers to one guide is ridiculous - No straying or exceptions) or such a high level of adveritzing hype in previous trips to Indonesia (5 trips), PNG (twice), Australia, Burma (3 times), Thailand (3 trips), Solomons, and elsewhere.

KBR pros: Cheaper, more numerous and easier to find unusual critters, larger variety of dive sites, Better food, better dive staff, better land staff, better photo opportunities, more flexibility on lengths of stay.
Wakatobi pros: better house reef (even without big fish), prettier location with nice beach for swimming, nicer reefs and better visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom