Wakatobi, Woooohooo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero:
. Maybe you paved the way by pointing out Wakatobi's failings before my turn to go. :LIFSAVR:

Maybe I'm just lucky :D

I agree, they have reacted to comments.
For example, they've commented here about the poor air quality that we had in the SCUBA tanks (my reg was brand new and accumualted a terrible brown staining on the first stage filter), acknowledged it (Click here) and stated they replaced the valve on the compressor that had failed. They also stated, on this board (Click here) , that they knew about the bad valve during our trip and commented that nobody on our trip seemed to complain about it.

Secondly, they've removed hype from their website after exposed in the forums, such as the claim to see Blue Ring octopi at Wakatobi.
I had seen the blue ring octopus on the Wakatobi website and in our first briefing at the resort I expressed interest in photographing one. Lorenz made it clear nobody would be allowed to swim in the grassy area near the reef where the octopus lives due to the preservation of this area for young fish. In fact the only two entrance points are the dock and the sand valley near the bouy.

They've also removed the hyped claims that air conditioning is not needed at Wakatobi
and
the claims that there are no problems with bugs at the Wakatobi resort (right behind the resort is a brackish water area, great breeding for insects)

I have been following the Wakatobi Resort on the net since it opened. It has become almost as expensive as a live-aboard. I am sure it is good diving but not convinced it is worth what they charge. For macro stuff I have been to the Lembeh Strait. Great value! Indonesia has outstanding diving available at more reasonably pricing. I am headed back next year to Komodo and Raja Ampat. dawhale

Wakatobi isn't expensive per say, it's the airport they built that you're really paying for. When I was there in 98, we had problems with water supply and a few people left with some infections that required surgery, probably due to the fact they used the same water for cleaning wetsuits and equipment for 3 weeks we were there. Never changed.
Of course things have changed since then. They even have nitrox.
But the most important thing is the diving... and personally, it's not as good as the hype. It's been advertised aggressively the last 4-5 years. The entire Tukang Besi area is quite beautiful but the beauty is limited around the Tomia area. Some nice sites that are fishy, but the biodiversity is not as rich as many other areas just south. The house reef? Very nice but not unique. White sand muck vs volcanic sand? I pick volcanic sand any day.
The area is better done by liveaboard and I think that's in the process with Wakatobi trying to control the traffic to control the bleeding.
Wakatobi diving procedures leaves lot to be desired. Inconsistent diver management (one photographer coming with the right person(invester or big travel agency) gets to wander off or even touch and break things, whereas others get the stricter rules), food (fixed since they got rid of the swede) and the "love shack" days are finally over.
Would I go back to the area....not on the priority list but a side trip, sure. Would I go to the resort... no. Too limited on dive sites and reach. Liveaboard is the way to go for Tukang Besi... like many other places.

dawhale:
I have been following the Wakatobi Resort on the net since it opened. It has become almost as expensive as a live-aboard. I am sure it is good diving but not convinced it is worth what they charge. For macro stuff I have been to the Lembeh Strait. Great value! Indonesia has outstanding diving available at more reasonably pricing. I am headed back next year to Komodo and Raja Ampat. dawhale

LOL, dawhale, your post title (Is Wakatobi worth what they charge?) looks like a real question but the text looks like a fully formed opinion. It just comes down to what you want to spend money on--Wakatobi is expensive partly because of creature comforts rather than uniquely for the underwater aspects--things like good food, air conditioning, hot water, comfortable dive boats, camera room, helpful staff, etc. Wakatobi has to run big generators in a place where there was previously no electricity, for example, to power the airconditioners, compressors, and water heaters, and they share the generator's capacity with the local village, so of course guests end up subsidizing the village's electrical power in addition to their own consumption.

You can have equally outstanding underwater experiences elsewhere all over this amazing region and save on the topside perks. I can actually dive happily without those perks (just did last week--unappetizing food, so-so accommodations, unhelpful staff, comparatively cheap price), but when I do have creature comforts I enjoy them. I'm also a big fan of liveaboards, but sometimes it's nice to have a little more space and privacy.

Plus there's the question of transportation to and from Wakatobi: the air charter from Denpasar pops the price up. A not-quite-so-remote dive destination in Malaysia (a one-hour flight as compared to Wakatobi's 2 1/2 hour flight) shows its price *without* the air charter cost (an additional $200 per person).

There are so many worthy dive destinations all over the Indonesia/Malaysia/Phillipines/Thailand area that there's no need to pay Wakatobi's prices if what they offer is unimportant to you.

Quero,

"dawhale, your post title (Is Wakatobi worth what they charge?) looks like a real question but the text looks like a fully formed opinion. "

Yes its true I shared a personal opinion. Sorry my contribution to this discussion got your under ware in a knot. It was not meant to attack your personal perspective. just another view.

"It just comes down to what you want to spend money on."

I have based my dive travel money on where the professional underwater photographers are traveling. Yes their are pro's traveling to Wakatobi. I also look at their on line photo's. The photo's I have seen from Wakatobi have not inspired me to travel there. Can I afford it? Sure I can! Once again just have not seen enough to justify my hard earned dollars.

I am glad you had a great time. I look forward to your next dive report. dawhale

dawhale:
<snip> Sorry my contribution to this discussion got your under ware in a knot.

Huh? :dontgetit I just checked to make sure, and find that my undies continue to be just as smooth and comfy as they've always been. :smiliee:

As I said in my post (read all the way to the end), "There are so many worthy dive destinations all over the Indonesia/Malaysia/Phillipines/Thailand area that there's no need to pay Wakatobi's prices if what they offer is unimportant to you." Nobody's trying to twist your arm (or your knickers). :57:

Just returned from Wakatobi.
I have led dive tours worldwide for 15 years and travelled as a diver for about 25 years. Not bragging, just stating my qualifications as a poster on this subject. Also, did professional photogrpahy for 8 years in 90's.
My observations:
Price: 11 night trip about $280 per night but flight from Bali worth about $300 so that drops it to about $250 per night comparable to other remote detinations that require a domestic flight. Most nice Asian dive resorts (KBR, Etc.) run about $200 per night or more, so Wak. more. I believe level of food and service worth more.
Service: best I have had in all my travels. No complaints. I looked for problems but found none. Housekeeping, restaurant, dive crew, divemasters - all as good as I have experienced.
Accommodations: Excellent - great views near or on beach, A/C worked well, very roomy, comfortable beds, great showers and lots of hot water, nice grounds with outside lounge chairs and umbrellas
Diving: Great walls, but macro life overhyped in literature and website. No big fish except humphead wrasse. Saw 4 eagle rays and mobula at 150' plus, but no other pelagics. Vis is good most of the time. Walls and health of reef very good. Saw good critters on every dive, but had to search hard for them.
Dive staff: As good as I have ever had. Divemaster for every 5-7 divers and excellent divemasters. Know their stuff but also great folks. Boat crew would not let you do anything. Always there to help. Good with cameras. You never lift a finger.
Dive boats; Excellent plus. Lots of room, large camera storage/work area. Easy entry and exit, sunnning areas, good beverages and snacks between dives. Each diver with large personal area. Nitrox system efficient and safe - $20 per day. Shop has 80's or 100's in both air and Nitrox.
Food: Excellent plus. Lots of selection and plentiful. Table service excellent.
Resort: Nice grounds, beach, swimming from beach, sunning areas, very clean and well kept. Nice lounge with TV, digital projector, CD's, etc.

There is better diving in Asia, but if you want landbased operation with very good diving, good house reef, and fantastic service, I can recommend Wak.

peterjmaerz:
Excellent report! Thanks, Quero!

It's been interesting reading the varied reviews of Wakatobi over the years. Lately, the general mood has been decidedly postitive.

I'm envious of your location: for me, the Holy Grail Pacific locations are days and many dollars away!

Best Regards,
Hi Petey..
I took a look at Wakatobi and I found you.. I'll send you an e-mail.

Talk to you soon
Only 3 months till Wakatobi

ikepharm

Interesting points, but a few comments:

1) the flight of $300 should be factored into total costs as it is require to get you to Wakatobi from Bali.

Please keep in mind that EVERYTHING at wakatobi has to be shipped in - there is NO local infrastructure to supply Wakatobi. Look to North Sulawesi and you'll see that the Town/major port of Bitung is 30 mins away from KBR/Lembeh Straits Resort and the Minihasa/Tasik Ria/Thalassa/etc dive resorts are 45 mins from the city of Manado.

2) Best service in all your travels?
I just got back from KBR (and then a 10 day trip on the Ocean Rover in North Sulawesi) where we had a max of 3 diver's per KBR guide - compare that to the 11 divers to 1 guide I had a Wakatobi for every day of the 10 day trip and I must disagree with you.

KBR guides ask YOU what you want to photograph that day - Wakatobi guides never even pointed out the pygmy seahorses to us when we asked.
Very poor form.

Look at the Wakatobi brochures/web pages and you'll see lots of hype.
For example, note the blue-ring octopus. We arrived and mentioned that we'd like to photograph a blue ring octopus at the very first briefing of the trip and ONLY then did Lorenz tell us that you can NEVER take that photo because the animal lives in the grassy shallow areas where customers are not permitted. He said that the grassy area on the sandy flats above the reef are the breeding for small fish (the same type of small fish that are conspicuously missing from Wakatobi reefs).

Truth in advertizing Wakatobi style.

3) The observation you stated about not seeing big fish (nor sharks) reminded me that I also recall them being absent for such a prime wall location. The house reef was also very "light" on reef fish, very few being seen for the location, which should be ideal for them.
Ever wonder why these fish are missing when the location is so ideal for them?
We saw no less than 8 fish traps in the dive areas made/used by the locals.

4) I met the Dive Manager, Kim, from Tasik Ria in North Sulawesi and he spent two years at Wakatobi. His observations were that Wakatobi had a high turnover rate of crew, Lorenz resisted getting a proper water system in the resort, and that divers routrinely have stomach problems when visiting.

divepix:
Just returned from Wakatobi.

My observations:
Price: 11 night trip about $280 per night but flight from Bali worth about $300 so that drops it to about $250 per night comparable to other remote detinations that require a domestic flight. Most nice Asian dive resorts (KBR, Etc.) run about $200 per night or more, so Wak. more. I believe level of food and service worth more.
Service: best I have had in all my travels. No complaints. I looked for problems but found none. Housekeeping, restaurant, dive crew, divemasters - all as good as I have experienced.
Accommodations: Excellent - great views near or on beach, A/C worked well, very roomy, comfortable beds, great showers and lots of hot water, nice grounds with outside lounge chairs and umbrellas
Diving: Great walls, but macro life overhyped in literature and website. No big fish except humphead wrasse. Saw 4 eagle rays and mobula at 150' plus, but no other pelagics. Vis is good most of the time. Walls and health of reef very good. Saw good critters on every dive, but had to search hard for them.
Dive staff: As good as I have ever had. Divemaster for every 5-7 divers and excellent divemasters. Know their stuff but also great folks. Boat crew would not let you do anything. Always there to help. Good with cameras. You never lift a finger.
Dive boats; Excellent plus. Lots of room, large camera storage/work area. Easy entry and exit, sunnning areas, good beverages and snacks between dives. Each diver with large personal area. Nitrox system efficient and safe - $20 per day. Shop has 80's or 100's in both air and Nitrox.
Food: Excellent plus. Lots of selection and plentiful. Table service excellent.
Resort: Nice grounds, beach, swimming from beach, sunning areas, very clean and well kept. Nice lounge with TV, digital projector, CD's, etc.

There is better diving in Asia, but if you want landbased operation with very good diving, good house reef, and fantastic service, I can recommend Wak.

In response:

1. My point on the flight was that most Indonesia diving requires a flight from Singapore or Bali (to Manado, etc.) that will add about $300-400 to your trip, so since that is part of the Wakatobi price, it needs to be dedusted from Wakatobi price to compare prices. I don't care how or how much they pay for imports. What does that have to do with comparing prices?

2. You got poor service at Wakatobi - I got great service. You had 11 to 1 DM ratios - I had 4-5 to 1. Maybe they have improved in that area. You can disagree based on your experience but that doesn't change my experience. And I got great photos of pygmy seashorses I never would have found without the DM's. I admitted KBR had creatures easier to find, but one reason is they are not as camouflaged on the reef.

3. I didn't see any big fish at KBR either. I don't know if fishing is the problem or not. Probably is at both locations.

4. Again you may have experienced a water problem, but we had 26 people there for 11 days and never had one complaint about water or stomach problems. A cold bug did go around, but we suspect it was spread by a staff member or guest.

I'm not promoting Wakatobi, but simply reporting my experience. I loved KBR and would go back. I loved Wakatobi and am going back next April. Maybe you got unlucky in your experience - resorts are constantly changing. Maybe I hit it at a good time.

RSdiver:
Interesting points, but a few comments:

1) the flight of $300 should be factored into total costs as it is require to get you to Wakatobi from Bali.

Please keep in mind that EVERYTHING at wakatobi has to be shipped in - there is NO local infrastructure to supply Wakatobi. Look to North Sulawesi and you'll see that the Town/major port of Bitung is 30 mins away from KBR/Lembeh Straits Resort and the Minihasa/Tasik Ria/Thalassa/etc dive resorts are 45 mins from the city of Manado.

2) Best service in all your travels?
I just got back from KBR (and then a 10 day trip on the Ocean Rover in North Sulawesi) where we had a max of 3 diver's per KBR guide - compare that to the 11 divers to 1 guide I had a Wakatobi for every day of the 10 day trip and I must disagree with you.

KBR guides ask YOU what you want to photograph that day - Wakatobi guides never even pointed out the pygmy seahorses to us when we asked.
Very poor form.

Look at the Wakatobi brochures/web pages and you'll see lots of hype.
For example, note the blue-ring octopus. We arrived and mentioned that we'd like to photograph a blue ring octopus at the very first briefing of the trip and ONLY then did Lorenz tell us that you can NEVER take that photo because the animal lives in the grassy shallow areas where customers are not permitted. He said that the grassy area on the sandy flats above the reef are the breeding for small fish (the same type of small fish that are conspicuously missing from Wakatobi reefs).

Truth in advertizing Wakatobi style.

3) The observation you stated about not seeing big fish (nor sharks) reminded me that I also recall them being absent for such a prime wall location. The house reef was also very "light" on reef fish, very few being seen for the location, which should be ideal for them.
Ever wonder why these fish are missing when the location is so ideal for them?
We saw no less than 8 fish traps in the dive areas made/used by the locals.

4) I met the Dive Manager, Kim, from Tasik Ria in North Sulawesi and he spent two years at Wakatobi. His observations were that Wakatobi had a high turnover rate of crew, Lorenz resisted getting a proper water system in the resort, and that divers routrinely have stomach problems when visiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom