Wakatobi water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We're heading to Wakatobi in late September for 10 days. From what I've read, the water goes from the coldest around now to the warmest in less than two months. I'm sure the whole El Nino warming Pacific thing is also moving temperatures and weather away from the norm. Anyone been to Wakatobi in late September / early October and care to comment on the water temperatures we're likely to experience while diving. Their web site really only talks about surface temperature. We're trying to figure out whether to take 3mm, 5mm, hooded vest, etc for exposure protection

Any other tips to share about diving or Wakatobi in general that might not be covered on their web site or other Wakatobi related topics here?

Thanks

I will be in Wakatobi in early October for a combined week liveaboard plus 2 additional days of house reef diving from the resort. They told me that the water temp will be around 80*F to 82*F at that time.

In early October we experienced what Hintermann was told ... 80-82F

Anyone experienced Wakatobi in early December? Some websites indicate a rainy season while others says dive conditions are good.

Really appreciate any first hand experience
Thanks

Anyone experienced Wakatobi in early December? Some websites indicate a rainy season while others says dive conditions are good. Really appreciate any first hand experience. Thanks

Never been there in December, but you might bear in mind that they used to be closed Dec-Jan-Feb, I believe, because of less than ideal conditions.

I know this thread is old, but the title wouldn't change with my post. I'm headed to Wakatobi in early May and was interested in some first hand experience/knowledge of water temperatures. I've heard and seen the "typical" temps, but I'm really interested in what folks have experienced while diving there in May. My wife will be in a tropical drysuit, so it won't matter to her, but I'm trying to decide between a 3mm, 5mm, or just my Fourth Element Thermocline set.

Thanks!

Why not take your 3mm, a neutral chillguard for underneath if necessary and a hood? I've managed to keep warm enough this way in many waters around the world when encountering temps that would probably be better served with a 5mm. I prefer doing it this way because don't have to mess with my weighting.

All that said, pretty sure I'll have my 5mm with me next winter in Bali. Water was unseasonably cold due to some kind of strange upwelling, near as I could tell.

Diving every day in Wakatobi, i would take the 5mm but that may be me being overly sensitive to cold.
Many guests are diving with 3mm with no problem, cold sensitivity is quite personal :)

Send me a message when you'll be there if you wanna catch up for a drink!

FYI - I just got back from (4/2019) and the water temps at depth were between 84 and 86 for two weeks. I used my 3 mill shorties for just about every dive. Side note, the amount of plastic in the water and deep was horrible.

Could you tell us pleas about plastic seeing ? It's pretty unusual there and we report it to National Park Office to take action when it occurs.
Infos like Dive site,depth, date and time would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom