Waivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone were to ask if they could opt out of the waiver, it would scare me to death to think they are looking for a easy lawsuit path. People are so fast to lay blame that the only thing they know to do when they get their feelings hurt is to call 1800 get your money.

Kenny

Perhaps then you should re-think what's in the waiver. If this is your worry then get them to sign a waiver saying "if you sue me and loose you will pay me $1million dollars in addition to all my costs". If you get sued because you screwed up you deserve to pay and should have no right to ask me to waive that. If its somewhere in between, then a well laid out informed consent form, not a waiver makes a whole lot more sense.

It can vary with country. For example, PADI International (not PADI Americas) uses a different form called Statement of Risks and Liability. It identifies risks, and states that the instructor, the facility, and PADI accept no responsibility. You only acknowledge that you’ve received the Statement.

An OW class costs around $300 - paid to the shop. The instructor, who is probably an independent contractor (although I don't want to debate this), gets some portion. I have no idea what portion but let's say $150. After paying both ends of Social Security and state/federal income tax, there MIGHT be $75 to keep. Less expenses, of course.

Why would any instructor make any change in the waiver for so little gain. Your business just isn't worth the risk to credentials, insurance, 401(k), house, etc. There are other customers...

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom