Vytec computer interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. I don't think you have to worry about damaging the computer...unless you do happen to plug it into the wall as NEWreckDiver said!

NEWreckDiver:
This is simply a serial cable. You would have to plug the other end of the cable in the wall instead of the computer to cause damage.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there any way to switch the connection to a USB plug?

reubencahn:
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there any way to switch the connection to a USB plug?

Yes, easily... do a search on ebay for serial to usb adapter or rs232 to usb adapter. I found one for about $3.50 that works versus paying usually $20 - $30 in an electronics store.

reubencahn:

This was answered already, But you don't have a serial port on your computers? Well that is a first for me, but is sounds like jamiei has the answer for you.

NEWreckDiver:
This was answered already, But you don't have a serial port on your computers? Well that is a first for me, but is sounds like jamiei has the answer for you.

No, I've got a serial port, but I didn't want to leave the interface plugged in all the time. The only serial port is at the back of the computer whereas I have USB ports at the front, so a USB connector would be convenient but not essential.

reubencahn:
No, I've got a serial port, but I didn't want to leave the interface plugged in all the time. The only serial port is at the back of the computer whereas I have USB ports at the front, so a USB connector would be convenient but not essential.

I also make extension cables for people of custom lengths to take care of such situations. I made one for myself thats about 5' long so I can easily plug in interfaces for testing purposes without having to reach behind my computer. I expect it would take care of your needs as well.
jamie

My problem is that my new laptop has a plethora of ports, USB, S-Video, etc, but no serial ports... Are the serial ports old connections [like Beta video]? Recently I had to find an adapter at the store to use a late 90's version GPS... why? because the old GPS needed a serial port... Now tonight I bring home a Vyper and find out it uses the serial port style... I tried using the adapter I got for my old GPS system, went through all the com port choices, but it still doesn't work... and reading the Vytec manual, it says you need to be able to plug into a serial port without any other devices [I suppose they mean adapters like the one I tried to use]... I'm not going to go back to my slower old computer with serial ports, so will have to return the Vyper unless someone knows something I might be doing wrong... t'anks

my interface does work with adapters. Maybe suunto's does not, but I'm pretty darn sure that I've heard people report using the suunto interface with a usb adapter. I think its a pretty stupid thing for computer makers (besides laptops maybe) to drop the serial port. There are a lot of uses for it and if its needed only once I think its worth the small price of having another port on the mo board. Anyway, the interface should work with a serial to usb adapter if you're using it right and selecting the right com port. I just got an email from someone that had a similar problem using my interface.... here's a snip from it... (board member)

Dear Jamie,
Thanks for the heads up on hooking your Suunto interface to a USB port. As you mentioned, it only needed a little tweaking. Changing the USB 2 serial converter chosen default port, COM6, to COM1 and the speed from 9600bps to a more modern 14400 did the trick neatly.

Thats most likely like what you're running in to. It would be a mistake to get rid of the vyper ... take the time to look for similar problems or sell the suunto interface and try mine because I know for sure it works. Chances are that you'll have the same problem with any dive computer's interface so selling the vyper isn't the answer either way I don't think.

edit: rereading your post, it seems like you may have a configuration problem... gps software could possibly be the culprit. Palm software shut down? Also, are you using version 1.5? If so, do a search for that... there's a bug that causes the software to not find the interface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom