Vyper or Atmos 2 for nitrox/air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baalzamon

Reaction score
My brother has a Atmos 2 and it seems pretty decent. I already have an Atmos I and just got nitrox certified. Since visiting this board I have seen alot of talk about Vypers.

Other then the atmos being more liberal then the Vyper..
What are the pros or cons of either model?

help me decide

Try looking into the atmos AI. Had mine for a few months now and love it. Small, easy to read, nitrox, air-integrated etc, etc. Most all computers nowadays will have what your looking for.

Both computers have the same feature. The difference is as you say, Vyper is more conservative than the Atmos 2. However, the Atmos 2 can be set by the user to be as conservative as the user wants it to be, making it a better computer in my opinion.:eek:ut:

I love mine have used about a year other than Download tempature lag on readings seems grat good Nitrox even gauge mode.

My 2 cents
Tom

I've been through 3 Atmos 2 computers and 3 Atmos Savant computers. All 3 of the blasted Atmos 2's malfunctioned on me. One had me on a 175 dive in my LIVING ROOM! I took the sucker to bed with me and had it on my nightstand as I slept listening for the beep when it went into surface mode. Would you believe it beeped about 2am and I was able to fly immediately????? (And no, it wasn't in simulator mode) I kept trying because I really liked the computer....user friendly, gauge mode, big numbers (I'm over 40, alas) etc. I finally gave up with the last one and the mega living room dive. The first two malfunctioned in a similar manner, but not to the extent that the last one did. My first 2 Savants were recalled by the manufacturer and the 3rd was stolen at Ginnie Springs.

I switched to another brand that my LDS carried. I've now got a Mares M1. It's not near as user friendly, the manual is a joke and the display is small (insert bifocals in mask) .....but the Mares line of computers has the lowest failure rate in the biz. Go figure...... I've had it now for just over a year and I've not had a bit of trouble with it.

The Atmos 2 with the quick disconnect has been a fairly decent computer to work with. I especially like the ability to pull the computer off of it's hose and take it with me at the dive resort.

I have had one problem (sent the unit back for repair): second dive of the day, EANx30 programmed in, had to adjust my weights, and the computer defaulted to EANx50 during my very short surface interval. However, when I did my SAR dive with the class, with a max depth of 15 feet, the Atmos 2 began alarming and scrolling through screen after screen. Couldn't reset it or use it the rest of the day.

After cleaning it and drying it thoroughly, and replacing the battery, kept getting an "A-L-T" display until the next morning, when everything began to behave nromally. When I reviewed the previous day's dives, the computer had 4 dives:

Dive 1: Air, max depth 87 feet, 30 minutes, surface interval >1:30.
Dive 2: EANx30, max depth 15 feet, 5 minutes (had to get a couple of more pounds of lead), surface interval 5 minutes

Dive 3: EANx50, max depth 6 feet, 1 minute, surface interval 1 minute.
Dive 4: EANx50, max depth 315 FEET , 1:27 time at depth!!!

Since the max depth in that part of the quarry was only 15-20 feet, I have no idea of how those numbers were "detected" and recorded.

Anyway, other than that little error, I've been pretty pleased with its functionality. I don't want an air-integrated computer; I like the idea of seeing my air pressure on an analog gauge, and I have a water resistant watch to back up the computer's time function.

Just my 2 cents...

Redseal....

YES!! I forgot about ALT!!! Mine was doing that too. It was last year and I don't recall whether it was my first, second or third one that did that.

When my third one finally cleared it too, seemed to behave normally....but I was fed up and didn't want it anymore and took it back to shop for full credit.

The shop called AERIS to get an RMA number and was told by them...."The computer is fine now, tell the customer to keep it, understand?" The shop pushed Aeris for an RMA and got one. And I got a different computer.

I'm not glad for your computer misfortune, but I am glad to see that I wasn't the only one with this problem as the shop hasn't had any others returned. But most have been sold to recreational divers who dive once a year if lucky.

So which one did you go for Baalzy? Did you dive your new computer yet? I'm trying to decide between these two as well. Have fun, dive safe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom