Vyper air or VT3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have a hoseless Vytec DS (unfortunately it is being repaired) and need to buy another hoseless AI computer for my wife. I'm torn between the Vyper Air (VA) or the Oceanic VT3. We are rec divers and right now it seems as though either of these would suffice as far as functionality and they seem to be about equally priced. Is one considered more reliable than the other ? Easier to use ?

So... any reason to buy one over the other ?

Thanks
Dan

If you bought another Suunto, wouldn't the two of you be able to monitor each other's air pressure? Also, you'd be familiar with the basic functions of her rig.

Thanks Da5Id
Not sure about the Vyper Air, but I dont think the Vytec is capable of reading from more than one transmitter ? Also I have used a Vyper 2, assuming that the VA is similar, the interface of that computer is pretty different from the Vytec .
One thing I was concerned about was that having two Suunto transmitters might result is conflicts when we were close to each other ?

I've heard that trying to sync suunto computers when they are close to each others could result in syncing with the wrong transmitter. I guess it is a matter of keeping it in mind and making sure you double chech you are on the right transmitter. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue, just an annoyance. I dive an oceanic and don't have that problem so i don't know firsthand, but have heard plenty of complaints about it.

Thanks Da5Id
Not sure about the Vyper Air, but I dont think the Vytec is capable of reading from more than one transmitter ? Also I have used a Vyper 2, assuming that the VA is similar, the interface of that computer is pretty different from the Vytec .
One thing I was concerned about was that having two Suunto transmitters might result is conflicts when we were close to each other ?

Would not worry about that... but there can be an issue when pairing transmitters to computer if both are next to each other and doing it at the same time. But if you know of the issue, it is easy to avoid.

The same thing could happen with any wireless system...including Oceanic.

I would get another Suunto, as the calculations for Oceanic are somewhat different and you can run into an issue were one does not like the timing or profile the other finds just fine.

Would not worry about that... but there can be an issue when pairing transmitters to computer if both are next to each other and doing it at the same time. But if you know of the issue, it is easy to avoid.

I would get another Suunto, as the calculations for Oceanic are somewhat different and you can run into an issue were one does not like the timing or profile the other finds just fine.

Good point about the different algorithms. Thats a good reason to buy the Suunto.

I use air quite a bit faster than my wife :depressed:
If it weren't so critical, it would be funny if we synced to opposite transmitters.

I've heard that trying to sync suunto computers when they are close to each others could result in syncing with the wrong transmitter. I guess it is a matter of keeping it in mind and making sure you double chech you are on the right transmitter. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue, just an annoyance. I dive an oceanic and don't have that problem so i don't know firsthand, but have heard plenty of complaints about it.

I don't know of any problems syncing an Oceanic computer with the wrong transmitter. They come programmed with the serial # of the transmitter so that this scenario wont happen. They also come with a "Buddy Check" function that gives you the ability to read each other's air pressure. You'd need a second transmitter to take advantage of this though.

From experience, the differences in algorithms are so minute that in recreational diving this should never be an issue. I can't speak to Suunto, but I know my Oceanic DATAmask read more liberal than my dad's MARES Nemo Air.

Everytime I hear mention of a DATAmask I become more intrigued. Seems like such a great idea, especially for UW photographers.

I have a VT 3 and you do have to program the transmitter serial # in it for the other units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom