VULCANIUM: The Secret Of Captain Nemo And The Nautilus - new book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Bob Ballard himself was inspired by 20,000 Leagues .. discovering the proof of plate tectonics, the Titanic, the Bismarck , a whole different life form that does not rely on the suns energy in any form (the only one that does not) .. just where would we be today without Leagues?

Thank you Pat for joining our little enclave :)

Yep. And at the risk of being called a "name dropper" I'll add Phil Nuyten, too. Inspired to greatness by Jules Verne and Walter Elias Disney.

Where would we be? Probably still diving. After all, there was The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Sea Hunt, too.

I got busted by the lifeguard at Farley Pool in Oakland for a surplus gas mask that I'd modified for skin diving and safety-pinned a latex Creature mask to the straps of. Think I was about seven, then. Been a water dog all my life. I'd be diving even if hydrophobia was a common human characteristic.

But yeah, Leagues was the big one for me as a kid. Before I became "The Creature of Lake Weatherbee" I pretended the dual eyepieces of that gray Navy gas mask were the windows of the Nautilus as I swam along the surface.

That was really a great time and place to grow up.

Reactions: D_B

Back
Top Bottom