VT3 or Galileo Sol???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When going tech will either one perform at the standards that DIR accepts? Your comments are mostly appreciated...

Thanks,

Mike G

DIR practitioners don't always use computers, this is hard to answer.

Troll?

Tech in the DIR world = no UW computer calculating your deco...

So, whatever you spend your money on, be it a Uwatec BT, VT3, Sol, Vytec, X1, etc...be prepared for it to be either a cheap depth gauge / bottom timer or an expensive one.

Save your money and get a Uwatec Bottomtimer. I've used and abused them for years with no problems at all.

Another alternative is the Galieo Terra, it can be run in gauge mode and is very nice big display; I used one on a dive trip a few months ago.

If you really want a deco calculating computer then you look at the Liquidvision X1, it has a very nice display, can run in gauge mode and you can use vplanner live on it.

When going tech will either one perform at the standards that DIR accepts? Your comments are mostly appreciated...

"DIR" just requires a bottom timer to show depth and run time - as many have commented, an UWATEC bottom timer or any dive computer with a "gauge" mode will suffice.

If you want resettable stopwatch and depth averaging functions (plus downloadable dive profiles), the UWATEC Aladin TEC2G or Galileo Terra (if you insist on having a huge screen) are your best bet.

Some Suunto models also have nice gauge mode (but without depth averaging).

Thanks,

Mike G

Either will work fine. You just need something with gauge mode... anything else is gravy.

The Galileo Sol is a LOT of gravy... one heck of an expensive bottom timer. :wink:

The Galileo Sol is a LOT of gravy... one heck of an expensive bottom timer. :wink:

Drowning in gravy!

Unless you're David Rhea and getting them for free I'd find something in the $200-250 range. The Aladin tech is about the most gravy I could see justifying (~$450).

Either will work fine. You just need something with gauge mode... anything else is gravy.

Thanks for the feedback... I went with the Galileo SOL and will be getting it shortly...

MG

Thanks for the feedback... I went with the Galileo SOL and will be getting it shortly...

MG

Mike,

I seem to recall that you already had a computer. Maybe a VT3 or something like that. Do you really need another computer - one that costs almost $1500? Do yourself a favor and cancel that order. Even if for some reason you need another computer, you need not spend any more than $200 on the Uwatec bottom timer. That bottom timer has everything you will need in a computer to do tech dives/cave dives. If you want something fancy, the Uwatec Tech 2G at ~$500 has everything you might find useful.

You've asked several questions looking for answers in the DIR context (including this one) so let me put it to you plainly - You are throwing money away by buying a Galileo SOL. From the DIR perspective, the Galileo SOL offers zero features that you will find useful beyond what you already get with the VT3. Zero.

For DIR diving, you need a computer that tells you your depth, your bottom time and perhaps provides backlighting. Those are the only "must haves". Things like temperature and computer logging are nice to haves. NDL time remaining, heart rate, compass, air integration, etc. are all pointless.

Believe me when I say that there are far more interesting and important things to spend your money on, especially if you are going to move to technical diving. Examples include:
- a primary light
- backup lights
- SMB and spool
- training (gear is only maybe 20% of DIR diving. The stuff that is actually interesting and makes you a better diver is the approach that DIR divers take)
- dive trips/boats
- doubles
- scooter

If you really want to spend over a $1000 on something, start with a primary light.

The true costs of DIR diving is the diving itself. Having the right mixes, picking operators that have the right support, paying the trip costs of needed support divers, etc. adds up quickly. Spend money on that. Blowing it on techni-cool is silly and frowned on by DIR. There is nothing wrong with spending $1500 on a computer if you want to do so. However, that is getting into the range of what it costs to get Danny or Chris to spend a week cave diving with you. Guess which one is useless and which is a blast to do as often as possible.

When I have an urge to spend money on dive gear I don't need, I buy backups of usefull stuff, like another TLS or something. Fortunately, once you do this long enough (and have a garage full of unused dive gear) the desire to keep buying crap fades a great deal. You can avoid these mistakes by heeding the advice being provided here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom