VR3 IR link problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine crapped the bed completely last week. One dive after getting it back from having a bad button repaired the same button went again. The screen also switched from landscape orientation to portrait (so now it's sideways). Two emails to DeltaP unanswered so far.

Tom

While we are talking about the VR3:

I use DecoPlanner and has anyone figured out how to get the settings with both the VR3 and decoplanner to get kinda close?

FYI I also did a simple dive with the VR3 when I got it back, so I did the dive with my backup computer also.(don't trust it) The vyper had 12 minutes left to deco and the VR3 was 1 minute to deco...WOW I thought the vyper would go into deco first....

On the landscape/portrait thing RTFM. While in dive mode <dive now> showing hold both buttons (long) the screen rotates 90 degs each time, so you can wear it at any angle. This is how its supposed to work

VR3 goes into deco before the Vyper or Vytec, yes ( I dive with all 3), but those are the deep stops. The VR3 adds up the time slower than the vytec at the shallower stops, so the VR3 normally gets you out sooner. The VR3 also responds very well to slow ascents and will count down the shallowr stops. I try to surface at about 5m/min and often the shallow stops clear before I get there. the Suunto's dont count down those shallow stops until you actually get there

So basically the VR3 waps up deep stops and minimal deco quickly (the sort of stuff its sensible to do even on a no stop dive), but is good about adding on the real stop stuff, its also very flexible in how you do the deco unlike the suunto's

As for the failures, its seems that OMS are not as good at service as Delta P direct. I've had no problems and good support from them when I originally couldn't get the VR3 to talk to the Infra Red

madmole once bubbled...
On the landscape/portrait thing RTFM. While in dive mode <dive now> showing hold both buttons (long) the screen rotates 90 degs each time, so you can wear it at any angle. This is how its supposed to work

Thank you! I had a feeling there might be a way to adjust that but couldn't find it in the FM!

I will stick up for OMS here.

My VR3 failed on a dive when I was in Palau, it was a huge inconvenience as I was going to Truk the next week.

well a friend of mine Simon in Guam had one at his dive shop, Simon met me at the airport at 3:00am and gave me a new one...thats hpow I ended up with two.

so anyways when i got back I contacted OMS and sent it back for repair, the sent me a new one and because of the incovenience the upgraded it to closed circuit trimix with the CCR interface.

it did take a while, but they made it right in the end.

AquaTec once bubbled...

that is intereasting that you say that...i have two of them and love them, it has changed the way i dive. they are great

tell me what you don't like

I love mine too, when it works. Unfortunately, in the months I've had it that's been a grand total of 3 days.

The first time it broke, after two dives, (same problem it has now, bad left button), DeltaP promised me a turnaround measured in days so I shipped it over there by Express Mail ($50). Tracking showed that they tried to deliver it several times, nobody home at DeltaP. Finally, a week or so later, Delta picked it up at the post office. Another 2+ weeks later I had it back. It worked for one dive then crapped out again.

Now Delta has ignored 3 emails or, most probably, simnly not been at the "office" to check their mail.

Had I researched them better I might have been clued by the fact that a "technology company" has an aol.com email address. I'm thinking a couple guys in a garage.

Tom

Wreckwriter.

As you are a wreck diver I am sure that you know the name Kevin Gurr. He is the co-developer of the VR3. I beleive that is why is is such a great computer for real world aqua exploration.

There have been a couple of problems, that can be expeced [i guess]ith new technology.

check out ccrinfo.com for some great discusion on the VR3 and the Insperation.

I have heard of the button problem, I pressume you have the silver colored one. I have also heard that Phenox was fixing them fairly quickly.

i posted earlier how my problem was delt with.

As a little helpfull note, Kevin is going to be in the Caymans the two weeks before Christmas. I know that he is allready planning on updating all of our VR3's to version 2.0

the second generation VR3 which is a dark color has a different feel to their buttons, so i pressume the problem has been addressed.

Just wait till you are diving wrecks while using your VR3, take wreck exporation to a whole new level. no square profiles, and your time is now based on how much deco you want to do.
in other words you dive based on "time to surface" not bottom time

just adding the little I know

AquaTec once bubbled...
Wreckwriter.

As you are a wreck diver I am sure that you know the name Kevin Gurr. He is the co-developer of the VR3. I beleive that is why is is such a great computer for real world aqua exploration.

There have been a couple of problems, that can be expeced [i guess]ith new technology.

check out ccrinfo.com for some great discusion on the VR3 and the Insperation.

I have heard of the button problem, I pressume you have the silver colored one. I have also heard that Phenox was fixing them fairly quickly.

i posted earlier how my problem was delt with.

As a little helpfull note, Kevin is going to be in the Caymans the two weeks before Christmas. I know that he is allready planning on updating all of our VR3's to version 2.0

the second generation VR3 which is a dark color has a different feel to their buttons, so i pressume the problem has been addressed.

Just wait till you are diving wrecks while using your VR3, take wreck exporation to a whole new level. no square profiles, and your time is now based on how much deco you want to do.
in other words you dive based on "time to surface" not bottom time

just adding the little I know

So how can I get a hold of Kevin? Its becoming clear that DeltaP is about as functional as my VR3. If you have contacts that can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Yea, I guess you'd call it "silver colored", its darker than what I call silver actually. Looks like the pic at http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr3_main.html except the body is slightly different color.

Phenox? Who is that?

The right side button works perfectly, always has. The left is $hit, always has been. You can even hear a sorta "sucking" sound when you push it.

One guy I know had one of his buttons actually fall out!

As is, cool paperweight.

Tom

OMS good service....really? Not for me..I had a dead unit, one month to fix and I had to eat the shipping and no interface for me. My friend is still waiting for his back. But I do now have the newest firmware. Sure I bet it is better service going through Delta-P if you live over there......

WreckWriter once bubbled...

So how can I get a hold of Kevin? Its becoming clear that DeltaP is about as functional as my VR3. If you have contacts that can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Yea, I guess you'd call it "silver colored", its darker than what I call silver actually. Looks like the pic at http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr3_main.html except the body is slightly different color.

Phenox? Who is that?

The right side button works perfectly, always has. The left is $hit, always has been. You can even hear a sorta "sucking" sound when you push it.

One guy I know had one of his buttons actually fall out!

As is, cool paperweight.

Tom

I will send it to you in a private email, the picture you attached is the lates run. the bright silver one is the first run. i have heard the button problem where on the first run [bright silver]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom