Vote on your preferred BC -

What BC style do you use or recommend most often (if you don't like the one you use)

• New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Long time member - use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 69 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Interesting categories in this pole.

BTW when did a BP&W cease to be a BC? (They do compensate buoyancy you know.)
icon12.gif

By the rules, to be honest, I had to vote in the NTB category. I guess in another month when I'm a LTM... I'll see the error of my "back inflate BC" ways and crave a BP&W!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Chad

Hey, you left out Horsecollars.

There are 38.4k registered ScubaBoard members. Out of those 38.4k, I would GUESS that less than 5% of them visit the board regularly.
(disclaimer: I said that is MY GUESS - Tech or Doc, you have any actual stats on this?)

Out of 38.4k, you have a small portion of people who are BP/W advocates, but they post often, and are passionate about the BP/W, which makes it appear that there is a HUGE BP/W faction on ScubaBoard. In reality, this my not be the actual case.

I make it a point not to say "You should buy a Zeagle BC!" everytime someone asks for advice or input. I guess I could do it, but why? I do answer Zeagle related questions for people, and often help them choose a BC (or a BP/W!) that is right for their situation, but 90% of the time it is done through PMs - and only if they PM me ASKING for advice - I NEVER solicit them.

I have no problem with BP/W's. We make them and sell them. I didn't think we would sell nearly as many as we do, but I would be lying if I said the ration of BP/W sales to BCs sales was even remotely close - it isn't. I realize that we are only one company, and not the first choice of many BP/W users (and we are working on that! :wink: ) but I can't help but think that our ratio has to be pretty close to the market standard.

Once again, let me stress, I have no problem with BP/Ws or the people who use them - I just believe that the overall percentage industry wide is very small in comparison to BC users.

Reading back through this, I am not sure what it ads to the conversation, it is just one guys viewpoint...LOL

No matter what syle or brand you dive, the most important thing is that you get out and DIVE!!!

Scott

The problem with many stab jackets/BCD's is that they are "all show and NO go"!
I always recommend a BP/W or no-frills Backinflate BC because I know they work. You DON'T need cummerbunds, velcro, danglies, ten million D-rings. All of the extra padding makes for un-needed extra buoyancy. I think the BP/W gets rave reviews because by it's very design it puts weight over the diver's buoyant lungs and trims you out almost immediately. Many divers immediately take note of the uncluttered "open" feel you get without all the surrounding junk of a jacket. Their trim is good, their SAC improves and they're sold. Diver's need to know that they gotta move weight from their hips and sides to their back. There are many decent Jacket BC's allowing you to do this with trim weights. Part of the problem is that training is lacking and a BC is sold to many divers before they even know the mechanics of trim, diving neutral etc. If properly marketed I think BP/W's could get better sales.

If i were to guess the market share of BP/W owners vs the rest of them, i would say add up the number of cave (maybe moderate/advanced wreck/deep/deco divers) certs, DIR certs and double it (fudge factor) and compare that to the number of divers being churned out from recreational courses.

You couldnt do it on sales alone as quite a few folks i know who dive BP/W have more than one set up, one or two plates, and a wing for singles and another for doubles - they usually have a few jacket BC's lying around too gathering dust, not sure how many rec divers have more than one set of gear lying around....

simbrooks:
they usually have a few jacket BC's lying around too gathering dust, not sure how many rec divers have more than one set of gear lying around....

LOL! I must be the exception. I have a SS BP and an AL one. Spare regs. Tanks. 3 wetsuits....etc. etc. and it keeps growing.

RiverRat:
LOL! I must be the exception. I have a SS BP and an AL one. Spare regs. Tanks. 3 wetsuits....etc. etc. and it keeps growing.
No you are the rule, i too have 2 plates, 2 wings and a whole list of other stuff i take on most dives with me. I am saying that rec divers who wear jacket BC's arent likely to have more than one set up (unless instructors etc), whereas BP/W wearers might have multiple options on their set up and of course the previous jacket BC before they moved over to a BP/W still lying around :wink:

I selected that I use or recommend a BP/W setup because I use one. I can't really say that I recommend one type of BCD over another. When asked, I usually try to present as much information about all types and help the customer (or friend, relative, etc) make an informed decision. I think it is ultimately important that people understand all the options and choose the one that fits their needs/desires best. And ultimately I cannot answer that question for them.

ScottZeagle:
There are 38.4k registered ScubaBoard members. Out of those 38.4k, I would GUESS that less than 5% of them visit the board regularly.
(disclaimer: I said that is MY GUESS - Tech or Doc, you have any actual stats on this?)

Out of 38.4k, you have a small portion of people who are BP/W advocates, but they post often, and are passionate about the BP/W, which makes it appear that there is a HUGE BP/W faction on ScubaBoard. In reality, this my not be the actual case.

I make it a point not to say "You should buy a Zeagle BC!" everytime someone asks for advice or input. I guess I could do it, but why? I do answer Zeagle related questions for people, and often help them choose a BC (or a BP/W!) that is right for their situation, but 90% of the time it is done through PMs - and only if they PM me ASKING for advice - I NEVER solicit them.

I have no problem with BP/W's. We make them and sell them. I didn't think we would sell nearly as many as we do, but I would be lying if I said the ration of BP/W sales to BCs sales was even remotely close - it isn't. I realize that we are only one company, and not the first choice of many BP/W users (and we are working on that! :wink: ) but I can't help but think that our ratio has to be pretty close to the market standard.

Once again, let me stress, I have no problem with BP/Ws or the people who use them - I just believe that the overall percentage industry wide is very small in comparison to BC users.

Reading back through this, I am not sure what it ads to the conversation, it is just one guys viewpoint...LOL

No matter what syle or brand you dive, the most important thing is that you get out and DIVE!!!

Scott

I will agree with you on the point that BP/W users make up a 'much' smaller percentage of buyers / users than straight bc users. However; unlike the basic rec bc diver, divers that typically dive BP/W combos are usually the ones that continue to spend big bucks on diving equipment over the years (constantly upgrading and modifying their setups). You should continue to pursue your own line of BP/W - if that is what you are looking into. I like alot of your stuff.

I started out diving a rec BC and still do from time to time - sorry it's a mares. However; for most of the profiles I dive now, a BP/W is a much better set-up.

I agree w/ you also - no matter what you dive, keep diving it!!!

BTW - while I don't care for your BCDs, I do have 2 Zeagle VI flatheads and an envoy delux (deco) that I dive on my doubles. Excellent regs at depth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom