Vortex-Morrison Sept 27-30, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I left work early Friday and headed south to take advantage of what is left of the warm weather. A quick check in at Vortex, my stuff unloaded, I went to Morrison and found only four swimmers and me.

The spring shone clear and vibrant as I entered the cave and searched amongst the gravels for anything that might be of interest. There were the usual pieces of sand dollar and an occasional pottery shard or bone. Then a tiny grey flicker that appeared almost translucent caught my eye. Dancing in the boil I found a tiger shark tooth unimpressive in size but ominous in significance. Here in substrate that predates vertebrates I found a shark tooth probably from the Pleistocene.

I reluctantly surfaced when my time ran out and shared my find with the children playing at water's edge. After a surface interval I went back to find another one but alas, there were no more.

I hurried back to Vortex with the intention of diving with Paige but it was getting dark and pangs of hunger permeated the group. Paige, Kevin, May-May and I succumbed to the call of the Land Shark and headed for Sally's for Haute Cuisine. It's nice when you walk into a restaurant and the waitress puts your food on the table without asking. I guess we've been there too often.

Back at the Vortex we met Jim and Lesley (MM's students) and opened the bottle of Cruzan Single Barrel We watched some inane movie on the only TV channel and chatted the night away. Social bonding between folks with a common interest is most likely more enjoyable than the diving itself.

Saturday morning started early with mist on the water, roosters announcing sunrise and the haunting call of an owl.

In relatively clear water Jim, Jan, and Paige enjoyed their first dives. The drought casts a toll on clarity because flow rate is very low. Once silt gets stirred it stays. Eduardo has been paying so much attention to the cave he has neglected vacuuming the fine algae and silt from the spring itself. Midmorning a team of underwater accident investigation students arrived and successfully plowed the bottom.

My other student, Jason, is either very dedicated or a bit touched. He worked night shift in Montgomery Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights and his fiancé Christy drove him down both days for his dives. Rick's two, Mark and Rodney, arrived around noon. Eddie came down just to dive and brought his beautiful daughter and her friend. All this crowd of absolutely wonderful folks made for a grand end of day barbecue.

May-May, Eddie, Kevin, and I went to Morrison in the afternoon. Jim, Paige and Eddie's girls went along for surface support. Swimmers were sparse and we went past another group of divers waiting to get in. In the cave we looked around and enjoyed the crisp and cool water. The other group showed up and I continued to scratch through the gravel. I heard a blood curdling scream and looked up just to see fins disappearing up the chimney. Quick inventory with my HID found May-May's yellow fins and Eddie's bald head. Kevin was right beside me so we continued our quest for the long lost whatever that we might rediscover and call treasure. We reluctantly ended the dive and headed to Vortex with hunger gnawing.

Order of business back at the V was opening a bottle of Land Shark, lighting charcoal and starting the ice-cream freezer. Sausages of all sorts, hamburger, brats, steaks, and other stuff filled the grill. Shane, Eduardo, and the harmonica player joined the party and it was grand. Gary and Debbie from Scuba Shack stopped for ice cream. We presented First Open Water Dive certificates and we ate, and ate, and ate and talked and talked and talked. It was Après Plongee at its best. We listened to the Auburn game and cheered, we also watched the Alabama game and lamented. I must have been tired because I don't think I moved all night.

Sunday morning started early as well. Morning mist on the water cast an orange hue from the sunrise. Nature's way of saying "here's a new and exciting day for you, make the most of it!"

Paige, Jason, Jim, Lesley, Mark, and Rodney finished their dives and all wore smiles.

Jason, Christy, Paige, and Kevin headed for Morrison while Rick, May-May, and I decided to pleasure dive at Vortex.

This past weekend turned out to be one of the most enjoyable ones in memory. A grand bunch of folks eager to dive and just as eager to bond friendships that may last a lifetime.

With great reluctance - we drove home Sunday afternoon eagerly awaiting the next trip.

Sound's like ya'll had a great weekend. So what was that noise and disappearing fins?

I didn't see it but May-May was across the room and saw the girl that was with them panic and spit out her reg. They were gone before we could do anything. She was ok though and still standing in waist deep water when we surfaced.

I never thought I would hear a scream 75ft underwater. It did get my attention though.

Nice report. Well written I must say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom