Vortex 3/18/06 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Rocketman, ScubaLuke, and myself all had plans to head out to Vortex this weekend with our LDS. ScubaLuke for some reason opted to go to work Saturday instead of going diving and couldn't make it, so it ended up just being the two of us.

We arrived at Vortex Saturday just in time to eat lunch with SuprBugMan who had just finished diving Morrison Springs. Vortex was plenty crowded weith several LDS's set up doing open water checkouts. You had to park a pretty good ways from the area where you geared up. There were enough divers in the water that I'm betting you could walk across them from one side of the basin to the other without getting wet.

When we did get in the water, with so many divers submerged, it was easy to get disorientated as to which way your buddy went. But later in the afternoon though after 5pm we pretty much had the entire basin to ourselves, so that was nice. Only a small handful of people (maybe 3-5 ) did a night dive, but it was pretty cool out temperature wise.

I also got to try out my new Aqualung Legend LX Supreme, which was one of the purposes of the trip. Boy that is a a sweet regulator!

Diving conditions were good though. The water had a little particulate stired up though by all the open water students doing checkouts, but it wasn't too bad. Water temp was it's normal 67-68f and air temps that afternoon were aroudn 70-72f with a light wind.

After diving the LDS had a grill-out for everyone in our group.

We stayed at Vortex in their Pineview (or Pinewood) Lodge. The rooms weren't anything fancy but were fine for us. As long as you know what to expect when staying in one and know they are just "bunk house room" then you should be fine with the "accomadations". However, they must have had a mildew problem or something because several of the rooms really stunk from the odor of mildew and "deodorizer" meant to mask the smell. It was some deodorizer "package" they had hanging up on the clothes rack. The people in the units beside us said theirs had it also. It made the room smell like one of those portable chemical toliets that used to much deodorizer to mask the smell. The odor was about the only drawback though. When I got home I opened my clothes bag and everthing in it now smells like that room... *uggghhhh*. Luckily the clothes washer will fix that.

Overall, it was a good weekend trip and any weekend diving is better than spending the week at work.

Nice to meet you guys, next time you're down here, we'll actually have to get a dive in somewhere!

Looks like there was no room for me to rinse my gear in the pond after all :D.

mike_s[B:
ScubaLuke[/B] for some reason opted to go to work Saturday instead of going diving and couldn't make it, so it ended up just being the two of us.
And do his taxes, fix his mower, yada, yada, yada....

I'm glad you guys had a good time. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a break for the Panhandle in the next week or two.

Luke

ScubaLuke:
And do his taxes, fix his mower, yada, yada, yada....

I'm glad you guys had a good time. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a break for the Panhandle in the next week or two.

Luke

I don't know if I could have handled both you and him snoring in that room anyway.... His snoring sounded like the noise a mama black-bear makes when she's looking for her cub that she was seperated from.

mike_s:
I don't know if I could have handled both you and him snoring in that room anyway.... His snoring sounded like the noise a mama black-bear makes when she's looking for her cub that she was separated from.
At least that proves that neither one of us were sleeping on the job. We wouldn't have been able to hide it.

Luke

SuPrBuGmAn:
Nice to meet you guys, next time you're down here, we'll actually have to get a dive in somewhere!

It was great to meet you also. Maybe next time Morrison will be better or maybe we can do a Whiskey dive.

To follow up on Mike's report, it was the 1st time I had been to Vortex. Man the place was packed with OW students, but surprisingly the vis wasn't that bad. The main reason I went was to do my Nitrox cert dives, plus I hadn't been wet since December 17. When I dive I wear contacts (gas permeable). On my last dive in December I had lost my left contact and haven’t got a replacement so I was diving with only my right contact. I thought this would be great because I would be able to read my gauges with my left eye and see distance with my right (I'm nearsighted). I put my right contact in just before what I thought was going to be the start of our first dive, but didn't get into the water for about an hour after I had put in my contact. Well we started the dive, swam around for about 20 minutes. We did the swim throughs, the cavern entrance and dodged other divers. At the end of the 20 minutes I signaled Mike and another diver that had joined us to do his Nirtox cert dives to surface and start our planned 20 minute surface interval before our 2nd Nitrox dive. As soon as we surfaced a wave of nausea hit me and I throw-up and feed the fishes. My fellow divers kept asking me if I was ok (I think Mike thought I was haven't a heart attack since I am only 2 years younger than Moses). I knew the problem was due to wearing only one contact. I assured them that I'd be ok if I sat on the dock for 20 minutes with my head between my knees and eyes closed and then we could start the 2nd dive. After 30 minutes I decide it was time to start the 2nd dive. But as soon as I got back in the water another wave of nausea hit me. I told Mike and Jeb to go without me. I made my way back to the truck where I removed my contact. As soon as I did the nausea stopped. Lesson learned...I will never dive with one contact again. I'm sure I will keep that resolution as well as I have kept all my New Year resolutions. Anyway, despite all, I did enjoy the trip (except feeding the fish) and would do it again, but with both contacts.

BTW, I'm thinking of changing my handle from RocketMan to Chucks. :)

RocketMan:
As soon as we surfaced a wave of nausea hit me and I throw-up and feed the fishes.
Were you having any ear problems? If for some reason water or air doesn't circulate equally to both ears you can get a temperature difference between the ears and this will cause nausea and vertigo.

I've got an osteoma (http://bonetumor.org/tumors/pages/page12.html) in one ear and as a result any time I cross a thermocline I'll get vertigo. The fact that you got nauseous on surfacing makes me suspicious that your ears may not have been clearing evenly. And having in only one contact would have made it even worse.

Osteomas are fairly common in the ears of people that swim or dive in cold water. From the link above:
The fact they are often found in the auditory canals of swimmers and divers who frequent cold water suggests that in some cases they are some type of inflammatory reaction.

Luke

ScubaLuke:
Were you having any ear problems? If for some reason water or air doesn't circulate equally to both ears you can get a temperature difference between the ears and this will cause nausea and vertigo.

Luke

I always have problems clearing my left ear. According to the ENT the E tube opening in my left sinus is smaller than the right one. So my nausea could have been caused by both the ear and one contact, especially since I did have vertigo. But it did go away as so I removed my contact.

I have and eye appointment next week to get new contacts plus I'm planning on getting a mask with prescription lenses as a backup in case I lose a contact on a dive trip.

P.S. I do have two bony tissue growths inside my lower jaw. I had them as long as I can remember and thought that everyone had them until my dentists told me differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom