Volunteer Lifeboat midnight rescue of lost night divers - Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a personal call, more than I'll mess with, but up to you. Most divers don't bother with either. I'm amazed that some boats go to sea without a PLB or similar.
Ok, I’m curious now to what you are alluding to. Is there a reason not to carry some form of device that sends a locator signal? Lots of people don’t wear motorcycle helmets but doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Ok, I’m curious now to what you are alluding to. Is there a reason not to carry some form of device that sends a locator signal? Lots of people don’t wear motorcycle helmets but doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
I'm sorry that my post gave you such an idea as my feelings are that almost all divers should carry PLBs, but the agencies and shops don't suggest them so we'll never see that. Motorcycle helmets are essential for such riding, these days masks are, and I never leave the house without my PLB - driving, hiking, farming, diving.

I use the smaller canister from this page. Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK.

I never carry a PLB and I solo dive offshore in Ireland. I believe I do not have a right to launch a voluntary service and risk the lives of others so I can pursue my pastime. I tell family and friends where I’m going and take responsibility for my own safety. I carry a vhf radio on my boat.

I never carry a PLB and I solo dive offshore in Ireland. I believe I do not have a right to launch a voluntary service and risk the lives of others so I can pursue my pastime. I tell family and friends where I’m going and take responsibility for my own safety. I carry a vhf radio on my boat.
That sounds noble, but if you were to go missing - then your loved ones would request the search which would become a bigger, riskier, and more costly endeavor than if you had carried and used a PLB so they could go directly to you. Your logic totally fails. And your boat radio is better than nothing, but not much. Same comparison.

So if you could make your diving and boating safer for you, safer for searchers, more expedient, less costly for searchers, and kinder for your loved ones by simply spending a few hundred bucks and carrying a PLB, then what is your real objection to a safer approach?

That sounds noble, but if you were to go missing -
That’s my point, don’t go missing. Keep in radio contact. Keep people informed of your whereabouts. In the case of a breakdown and you need a tow call friends in your area. Be self sufficient. In a medical emergency call the right people and tell them the situation. A PLB is going to launch the entire emergency response.

That’s my point, don’t go missing.

Using my motorcycle analogy again, that’s like saying don’t crash and you will never need to wear a helmet. I believe in choice and personal responsibility. If you don’t want to wear a helmet then don’t wear one but don’t become a burden to your family and society if you suffer a life changing injury that could have been easily prevented by taking a simple precaution.

If you become lost at sea it does not matter if you would rather drift out into the open ocean and die than inconvenience others who may come looking for you because they will come looking for you anyway. That’s how it works.

Very few divers carry some kind of beacon because the risk of getting lost at sea is low and it’s an added cost and one more item you have to carry with you, but I’m sure those that were lost at sea and didn’t have one were wishing they did have one.

If you become lost at sea it does not matter if you would rather drift out into the open ocean and die than inconvenience others who may come looking for you because they will come looking for you anyway. That’s how it works.
Don’t become lost, know exactly where you are at all times and make sure that others do to, we have gps, ais and vhf radio to ensure that others know where we are. With a PLB people are not going to know the circumstances and all the voluntary rescue services are going to launch.

That’s my point, don’t go missing. Keep in radio contact. Keep people informed of your whereabouts. In the case of a breakdown and you need a tow call friends in your area. Be self sufficient. In a medical emergency call the right people and tell them the situation. A PLB is going to launch the entire emergency response.
That was my first guess - you're too good to fail - or become a victim of circumstance, but I didn't want to say that. I agree with your methods, and I'd be embarrassed to have to use my PLB, but caca happens. My family and I both will be glad that I carried my last resort tool.

That was my first guess - you're too good to fail - or become a victim of circumstance, but I didn't want to say that. I agree with your methods, and I'd be embarrassed to have to use my PLB, but caca happens. My family and I both will be glad that I carried my last resort tool.
I have no intention of making this personal despite your provocation. I take responsibility for my safety and ensure I take every measure to ensure a safe return to shore without launching a voluntary rescue service who I might add have family and friends.

GzmYz8Sb5t6iT50hxMTdOxxTJPqFrLSl2hbezrJGhzJ_ljKa1eXgeV69zIhgq14LWnlFM-ftZZXNXtfbeZbcWcQm-GhzuQpC.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom