Volume I of Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks now available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received my copies yesterday. Glad I did not wait until Christmas for these.

VERY well written and will provide a lot of interesting reading for me.

Mike, one comment in there I have NOT found the answer to...you mention the earliest recorded shipwreck in FL was in the 1600s. I have not found it yet (in the book, not in the water :D). Could you give me a clue as to which one it is?

Google talks about the earliest recorded TREASURE wrecks from 1544 so that might be them. Wasn't sure if you had a different one in mind.

Thanks,

I received my copies yesterday. Glad I did not wait until Christmas for these.

VERY well written and will provide a lot of interesting reading for me.

Mike, one comment in there I have NOT found the answer to...you mention the earliest recorded shipwreck in FL was in the 1600s. I have not found it yet (in the book, not in the water :D). Could you give me a clue as to which one it is?

Google talks about the earliest recorded TREASURE wrecks from 1544 so that might be them. Wasn't sure if you had a different one in mind.

Thanks,

Tristan de Luna y Arellano lost several ships in Pensacola Bay in 1559, and there were numerous wrecks in the 1600s - including the 1622 fleet in the Florida Keys. There are other wrecks thought to have been lost in the 1500s, but geographical references were rather abstract and sometimes confusing.

Hi Frank-
Volume I spans from the GA/FL border (a few wrecks technically in GA are included) south to the Miami-Dade/Monroe County border, roughly around the Pacific Reef area. So, while Volume I might be of interest (especially if one were interested in getting the whole set for all Florida wrecks), Volume II covering the Florida Keys will be more of your backyard stuff. Volume III will cover Florida's Gulf coast...
Cheers,
Mike

when would would estimated dates for Volume II & II be? (2011, 2012?)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom