Volo Power vs Bio Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judestudio

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently using the Mares Volo Power, they seemed alright, powerful and relatively easy to maneuver. But I do get sore calves after using them....and for me, they're still a bit stiff and difficult to kick.

Will the Bio Fins be any better, in terms of ease of kicking compare? Can someone who's tried both give a brief review??

Cheers!

Hello Judestudio,
I am using the Bio fin XT, the harder version of Bio fin, and also the full foot Mare Volo Race. I feel that the Volo Race is a lot easier on the calves and legs than the Bio fin XT. I have never tried on regular Bio fin which is supposed to be softer and easier kicking. For all the fin, Taiwanese Jets, Seac Sub Manthas, Mares Quattro, SAS Mantas I have tried, I still find that the Mares Volo Race is the easiest on your leg. Nice and soft.
Are you the same Judestudio on the HKdiver forum? If you are, happy to meet you again.

Contiki

Hello Judestudio,
I am using the Bio fin XT, the harder version of Bio fin, and also the full foot Mare Volo Race. I feel that the Volo Race is a lot easier on the calves and legs than the Bio fin XT. I have never tried on regular Bio fin which is supposed to be softer and easier kicking. For all the fin, Taiwanese Jets, Seac Sub Manthas, Mares Quattro, SAS Mantas I have tried, I still find that the Mares Volo Race is the easiest on your leg. Nice and soft.
Are you the same Judestudio on the HKdiver forum? If you are, happy to meet you again.

Contiki
Thanks Contiki. Yes, same person. And thanks for the review. I've heard a lot of good about the Bio Fins, I wonder if the softer Pro versions make a difference in oppose to the XT in terms of kicking efficiency.

I also have the Volo Race FF and Bio-Fin Pro. I can't decide which one to use sometimes due to the comfort and power that each fin produces when I'm diving. Though I kinda lean more toward the Bio's a little more. They are comfortable, well balanced and longer lasting than the Volo. The Volo's are great, easy to work with, well balanced and lightweight, but they don't have the longevity like the Bio's do. That's my only complaint. Other than that, both are great fins for what they are.

I personally own the Mares Volo Power and can not see leaving these great fins. I can't see any other fins comparing to their strength in an openwater.

Use both the Volo Powers and the Bio Fin Pro XTs. I actually prefer the XTs in current or long swims, but I feel the Volos are easier kicking. They were perfect in Kona diving a 3mm full, but the longer, colder swims of shore diving in California a I prefer the XTs, even in a 7mm, vested, hooded, full suit. YMMV. :D

I'm susceptible to cramping in my calves as well... Since I switched to the Bio Pros, no cramping... I even forget I have them on... Trick is to keep the kick short -- a flutter. Not a large scissor.

I have never used Mares. But my new Biofins are the hands down best fins I have ever used. The are comfortable, easy on the legs and kick some serious butt in current. I got mine with spring straps and I love those too. Had them in Bonaire for a week and never got tired or sore no matter how long the dive was.

Laurel

I have a set of Mares Avanti Quattro's that I really liked until I was doing multiple dives on consecutive days and I started getting cramps in the calves. Some of the guys I dive with said it was too stiff a fin blade and/or not enough practice with my fins. :( I believe dehydration and potassium deficiency can also contribute to muscle cramping in general. Anyway, I purchased a set of Scuba Pro Twin Jet Split fins some years ago and have no trouble with cramping since. They do have a much softer blade. They are a delight to dive with, it feels like there is very little resistance there, yet I keep up with my dive partners easily. I do not typically dive in any heavy currents so I don't have any experience there. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on that.

The foot pocket on the Scuba Pro's is pretty wide for some feet. I've noticed that some manufacturers use a narrower foot pocket. Make sure your booties of preference fit the foot pocket of the fins you decide upon.

Some divers do not care for the light resistance offered by the Natures Wing design and need the feel of something with more stiffness. See if you can try a pair of that design (natures wing) before you buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom