Question Volivoli or N'aia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McGinty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In recent years the poor health of the corals in the Caribbean has me focused on the Pacific. I’ve been to Chuuk, Philippines, Raja Ampat, Palau and a few other places. However, I’ve never been to Fiji. After exploring options I’ve decided on either Volivoli land-based package or Nai’a liveaboard.

Assuming a ten day stay for each, these are considerations.

Volivoli has more above water diversions.

Volivoli may only get to the Bligh Waters a few times.

Volivoli has long boat rides.

N’aia is more expensive.

N’aia has easier transfers.

For those of you that have been to Fiji, what am I missing and what is your preference?

Thanks!

Volivoli is a beautiful resort with a very solid dive operation, a lovely site, an excellent restaurant, and far from least, an outstanding staff. Not all of the boat rides are long, but some are, and we did go through some fairly heavy seas one morning (maybe two).

NAI'A--especially on the 10-day trips--will expose you to an excellent variety of sites, including Nigali Pass/Gau Island, Namena Reserve, and others. The ship's crew is fabulous, the tenders are great, and the dive guides are too. We spent a week at Volivoli before a 10-day trip on NAI'A, which was an excellent combination. If I had to choose one . . . the variety and range of experience on the boat would win out; however, Volivoli is close enough to Nadi that if you could squeeze in even three or four dive days there, you'd not regret it.

You mention transfers: The drive to Volivoli is a couple of enjoyable and interesting hours, not worth (in my view) basing a decision on.

The Nai'a ran aground last month. I posted this.

I had a great time in April this year at Volivoli. I'm planning my return trip. The transfer was pleasant for me, and the driver stopped so I could get snacks, water, etc. These days, it takes a lot of travel to find good diving. You've made a good choice. Fiji is worth the trip. Here's my trip report.

I have also done both, and strongly recommend Nai'a. As already mentioned, you will have a greater variety of dive sites, including Namena which can be incredible. When I was last on Nai'a in November 2023, we saw lots of hammerheads out at Namena and our two days there were my favorite dives in Fiji. I very much enjoyed Volivoli, but the boat rides were quite long and we couldn't make it out to the Bligh Waters every day. For me, Volivoli was more of a relaxing/cultural experience rather than a diving experience.

Have not done the liveaboard but will probably go that route next visit to Fiji. Volivoli was incredible and doing Beqa first gave us two different areas and experiences but it left me wanting more. Without extra flights and 4 hour cab rides it's hard to cover the ground that the liveaboard does and I imagine the diving is just as spectacular in other parts of Fiji as Bligh. Bligh however was up to this point some of the best diving I've done ever (and a refreshing upgrade/change from the Caribbean which I love).

Have not done the liveaboard but will probably go that route next visit to Fiji. Volivoli was incredible and doing Beqa first gave us two different areas and experiences but it left me wanting more. Without extra flights and 4 hour cab rides it's hard to cover the ground that the liveaboard does and I imagine the diving is just as spectacular in other parts of Fiji as Bligh. Bligh however was up to this point some of the best diving I've done ever (and a refreshing upgrade/change from the Caribbean which I love).
Nai'a --August 24, 2024 to August 31, 2024. My buddy and I booked the Nai'a for a week starting 8/24/24. But stuff happens--my buddy had surgery today and the trip is off--we can't go. We are willing to sell our spaces on the fully booked Nai'a for 50% off--about $2,250 as opposed to $4,500. Everything can be handled directly with Nai'a. I have been on the Nai'a before--it is probably the best liveaboard there is. Fiji is fantastic. If anyone is up for a last minute booking--contact Nai'a. Use my name and post a reply here. Paul Nankivell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom