Vit E and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The PADI Nitrox manual says that Vitamin E and Magnesium supplements may have some protective effects against OXTOX. Would you care to speculate on the mechanism?

I would presume that the Vit E works as an antioxidant -- scavanging up superoxide radicals, which some think are part of the pathophysiology of OXTOX. Magnesium, of course, has some anti-seizure properties.

If Vit E works, I should think that Lipoic acid might work even better as it does get into the CNS and is even a more powerful antioxidant than Vit E.

Am I right? Speculations, comments, opinions?

ET:doctor:

Again, as is so often said here, we don't know anything with certainty on this issue.
There are theoretical reasons to speculate that it would be helpful but we have no proof.

There were multiple theoretical reasons to speculate that Vitamin E supplements would help heart disease, but careful controllled trials showed it to not help.

Do I take supplements when i dive Nitrox? No, but I do try to eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grains when on dive vacations. Other docs may choose to take or recommend taking them, we're just in an area of no proof. I trust mother nature's vitamin sources (foods) somewhat more than I do pills, but that's my bias.

Happy Bubbles,
John

Back
Top Bottom