Alpha Lipoic Acid? Safe? Other Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully there is a doctor here or someone else who is versed enough to answer this.

I recently read about something called Alpha Lipoic Acid that is apparently a very powerful anti-oxidant and helps in fighting free radicals and promotes glucose metabolism thereby helps prevent cancer, diabetes, a some other deseases. One problem though is that the recommended daily dosage seems very sketchy and varies upon the source of info. Some recommended 120mg daily others 60mg and my local vitamin shop has everything from 60 to 400mg pills. So, to make the story short I wonder if anyone could give a quick rundown on this supplement in general, real benefits, and dosage.

Thanks

I am wary of any nutritional supplement that has no true scientific basis and not FDA approved for a medical condition. Just saying it is FDA cleared does not mean squat.

Just remember, when they discovered cholesterol, they first thought that people should eat more of it.

Just remember, they used to think estrogen replacement is good for women (for nearly 20 years. Then they did a reversal about 2 years ago, and now, you rarely would find a doc who would prescribe one.

As long as you don't mind being a guinea pig, feel free to jump on the dietary bandwagon. In my opinion, healthy food in moderation is the best antioxidant. Otherwise, the only proven antioxidant I know is vitamin E and selenium.

for sure be wary... "supplements" are not nearly as requlated as "medications". The manufacturer can make many claims that are loosely supported (on not supported) by valid scientific research.

Fisher, good point on how medicine changes from year to year and study to study. (remember when smoking was PROMOTED by physicians?) You would not believe the amount of turmoil I have seen as I move through internal medicine to OB/GYN to family medicine vis a vis estrogen therapy. It is a very polarizing issue, particularly between the GYN folks and the Cards folks.

An intake of 120 mg should be about right. Usually, alpha lipoic acid is taken in conjunction with acetyl-L-carnitine, 1000 mg. Seems to help diabetics and those who need more energy (mitochondria). Side effects can be acid stomach. Some divers have questioned whether anti-oxidents can stave off oxygen toxicity. I don't know. The body produces similar substances such as superoxide dismustase and L-glutathione. The superoxide "pill" is not absorbed through the disgestive track so that's pretty much out. The precursor to gluthathione is NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) and this stuff has known benefits for lung function. Personally, I would like to see experiments run with BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) to see if it can mediate O2 toxicity. BHT, along with all "additives", has a bad rep among the green crowd but they have been wrong before.

pescador775:
An intake of 120 mg should be about right. Usually, alpha lipoic acid is taken in conjunction with acetyl-L-carnitine, 1000 mg. Seems to help diabetics and those who need more energy (mitochondria). Side effects can be acid stomach. Some divers have questioned whether anti-oxidents can stave off oxygen toxicity. I don't know. The body produces similar substances such as superoxide dismustase and L-glutathione. The superoxide "pill" is not absorbed through the disgestive track so that's pretty much out. The precursor to gluthathione is NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) and this stuff has known benefits for lung function. Personally, I would like to see experiments run with BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) to see if it can mediate O2 toxicity. BHT, along with all "additives", has a bad rep among the green crowd but they have been wrong before.
Thanks. Finally someone with information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom