Visiting Victoria area March 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiveupstove

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be out in the area for a business trip next week and was planning on diving Saturday March 26 in the morning before heading home on Sunday. Doing some research, Ogden Point seems like a fairly relaxed dive and easy to access. Race Rocks looks pretty fun too, but is it suitable for a newbie with < 20 dives still getting acclimated to my drysuit? Any other suggestions would be appreciated also.

I believe you want to be fairly dialed in before you try Race Rocks. Have a relaxing easy dive at Ogden and get all the bugs worked out. It is a lovely place to dive.

Ogden Point is an excellent place to dive. Nice easy shore dive with a dive shop on the site. Lots of life, lots to see. Vis may be a little poor this time of year but you are not going to find great vis anywhere around Victoria right now.

Race Rocks is also excellent but is a little more advanced location. It can have current, and it can have sea lions - both good reasons to dive there, but 20 dives is perhaps a little light. Depends - I have seen divers with that many dives be just fine but they were dropped in in a fairly sheltered shallow spot with no current. It is likely to have better vis as it is out in more open water and not quite as effected by surface run off as shore dives. As long as you let the operator know your comfort zone you could have a great dive at Race Rocks.

If you do end up at ogden point try the further flags for a chance at some wolf eels, or even better go at night towards flag 4 or 5 and you should have a good chance at seeing some good sized octo's out of their den's. If you do feel the urge to interact with octopus make sure to take off neoprene gloves as they can harm them from what i have heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom