Visiting the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bmandiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I are going to a conference in Grand Cayman and to DIVE. And on the way we want to stop in the Keys for 4 days. Would like to do 2 days of diving and a little site seeing. Since this part of the trip we are just winging it any suggestions on who to dive with what to dive and where to stay is needed. We are going mid June, what will the water conditions be like and is diving in the northern keys better or visa versa?

June is perfect. Before hurricanes and after cold fronts. You'll hear from everybody the best diving is in Key Largo (uppermost key). Sightseeing is the drive from Key Largo to Key West and then hanging out in Key West.

Lot's of favorite dive companies in Key Largo. Mine is Silent World. What are your diving interests? Reefs or wrecks? Key Largo has both and being a Marine Park, the reefs are in really good condition (for the most part). I think you'll be surprised by how well Key Largo compares to Grand Cayman.

I always recommend It's A Dive out of the Marriot on Key Largo. Ask for Captain Mikey, he is top notch. Del mo is right about going to Key West for sightseeing.

We are headed for Key Largo this week for a couple days of coral reef restoration with Ken Nedimyer and then a few days of rec and wreck diving. Del Mo was correct, Key Largo offers the entire spectrum.shallow reefs and The Spiegel Grove(510' LSD in 130" of water) The Duane, City of Washington......... We normally stay and dive at Amoray with Amy Slate but have used Ocean Divers and Island Ventures. The water temp per NOAA is 79-82, so come on down.

Key Largo area :Horizon Divers, Amoray's, It's A Dive (Marriott) - all first class and professional
Duck Key: Dive Duck Key, Tilden's
Inexpensive place to stay, convenient, diving out the back door, clean: Amoray Resort
Expensive, small, private (4units): Tarpon Flats Bed and Breakfast

Cayman is my other favorite place - wish I could go. Need someone to carry gear?

Enjoy your time in the Keys. This an often asked topic. There is a ton of info in the FL Conchs forum http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/. Start with this sticky http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/231435-florida-keys-guide.html and do a search for previous posts. You will find threads on what exposure suits, water temps, dive sites, training, required certs, dining, where to stay, what to do, etc. as well as reviews of many dive ops (great, good, or otherwise). Also there are several dive ops that are members of the scubaboard family and post info frequently so don't hesitate to ask them questions.

Make sure to hit Mallory Square in Key West for the sunset celebration. Every night.

If you get as far north as Islamorada you should dive with Conch Republic Divers.

My 2psi

The past two years my wife and I have stayed at the Island Bay Resort in Tavernier. The Conch Republic is about a mile away-making it very convenient. We thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Island B. R. - about 12 little cottages and a private beach area. Very quiet and peaceful. We've had two great experiences diving with the CR. Being relatively new divers we've found both to exceed our expectations. We recommend them both!!

We like to reef dive mostly but have heard so much about the wrecks would like to take in at least one. So what would be one to not miss.

The Spiegel Grove and the Duane are more advanced dives (100'+ depths, with strong currents possible), while the Benwood and City of Washington are easy dives with lots of marine life. The City of Washington is more like a reef dive than a wreck dive, as much of the wreck is scattered and has significant coral and sponge growth on it.

While I recommended It's A Dive earlier, I can also recommend Dual Porpoise out of the Holiday Inn (marina at mile marker 100). They specialize in smaller size groups and Scott Fowler has been a captain/instructor down there for over a decade. He has a degree in marine biology, is actively involved in reef conservation, and gives incredibly thorough briefings.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom