Visiting the area help info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
1. Heading down this year of 2012 whats the best time for best vis?
2. Meg charters $79 or aristakat $50 which will put you better in a teeth spot
3. Want to dive off the beach but do you even need to swim out far for teeth?
4. I plan to stay around the venice area for 1-2 weeks so if you would like to beach dive with me 2-3 times let me know with your info. I will be there between may-aug

1. The best time to dive Venice is March-May, this is when the water is warming up and this viz starts to improve. However, viz is always hit or miss. You can go one day and have 10ft and go the next day and have 2ft. All depends on winds.
2. Again, its all luck of the draw. I've been diving on both charters and have had great finds on both. Aristakat gets you to and from the boneyard in a lot less time than Megalodon charters. For me it has always depended on availability and money.
3. With beach diving you've got to swim out a good distance. The exposed gravel beds are constantly shifting so beach diving can be a lot of trial and error. There are a lot of people on the forum that regularly beach dive and can put you in a good place to start.
4. I'll be trying to dive several times over the summer so hopefully i'll see you out there! Good luck

As sharkboy advised - it really is hit or miss. Last year seemed to be more miss than hit for me. The following are all generalizations:
0-5 kt East Winds = good
morning = better than afternoon
incoming tide = better (especially if you are in a sweet spot at slack tide)
springtime = better
So if, after you see several posts of 10'+ vis, you can get a morning off in late March with a high tide prediction at 0900 after a week of low level East winds and be in the water by 0830 it's a good bet you'll find some teeth. Better if you set up a morning reservation on one of the charters a month prior and the aforementioned conditions just so happen to coincide on that day :wink:

To chart the viz, I do "swell info" website (just google it and put in area... you need about 3 days of green/flat to have decent viz (my view). Agree with other posters.

To help you dive: Remember dive flag (they do ticket). Try a flashlight (even in daytime... teeth give off a different shine (my view... some disagree, but look at my pictures!)). Buddy system recommended, but fossil diving is not always realistic. Feel free to message me prior to your coming. Any input I can provide, will be happy to do.

Dive safe!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom