visiting seattle from no calif

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the washington state ferries have auto ferries that you can drive a semi-truck onto.

They service Orcas, Friday harbor (Sand Juan Island) Lopez, and Shaw islands.

gonphishing:
Hello. Im a avid scuba diver here in no California. I mostly dive the Sonoma coast. I will be going to Seattle the last week of May to visit my son. I was hoping to do some diving in the area. I think Ill bring my kayaks. I also enjoy bottom fishing and free diving for abalone. I also spearfish. Looking to find a good spot for some fishing and diving in the Seattle area. Remote locations with camp sights might be nice. Please provide as much info as possible as I don't know the area at all. Might even be interested in live boards or fishing charters for a small group of 3. Hope to here from avid spear fishing junkies. thanks.

Actually there are a fair number of spear fishers up here, they just don't post much on the chat boards. I personally know several of them, although I don't spear. The vast majority of spearfishing is done off private boats, mostly out in the Neah Bay area. There are some open areas in the Sound and San Juans that are still productive, but you might have a tough time getting hooked up with someone to take you out. They tend to keep their spots to themselves.

yes it's a lot like that here as well. tight lips when it comes too there honey holes. its taken me many years to gather the knowledge of the sonoma coast.Ive been diving and fishing this area for almost 20 years. but I would gladly share general info on calif dive sights for fishing and other interests, and maybe even more. I've been known to gab a bit. I think ill do some local diving in seattle area and then go to the Islands for a few days to dive/fish and camp. just need to find a good general area and Island with camping and diving, fishing. are there air fills on those islands? or do I need to break out the steel, and haul some tanks. thanks to you all for offering info..~ ~ <*)(((>< ~ ~ ~

gonphishing:
Hello. Im a avid scuba diver here in no California. I mostly dive the Sonoma coast. I will be going to Seattle the last week of May to visit my son. I was hoping to do some diving in the area. I think Ill bring my kayaks. I also enjoy bottom fishing and free diving for abalone. I also spearfish. Looking to find a good spot for some fishing and diving in the Seattle area. Remote locations with camp sights might be nice. Please provide as much info as possible as I don't know the area at all. Might even be interested in live boards or fishing charters for a small group of 3. Hope to here from avid spear fishing junkies. thanks.

I lived in Santa Rosa for 2 years and Mountain View for 4 years, but am in Seattle now. I've been on over 50 days of diving with Chris, Jerry, etc. at Truth Aquatics and enjoyed their trips, but unfortunately I don't know of a organization that big in the Seattle/Vancouver area (3 ships, each over 100ft long). On the otherhand there are some good boat dives and we have a lot of easy beach access for casual diving. The best boat diving is in the San Juan Islands and many operations depart from their base in he town of Anacortes (1.25 hrs North of Seattle). If you want to take game, the best possibilities and cleanest areas are in the San Juans.
PS - If you see Orcas, remember the DO NOT attack divers (I saw your post regarding them as Great Whites).

The first major difference you will notice in the Pacific NorthWest/Puget Sound is the lack of surge and this is a welcome change that makes diving easier compared to your areas of say an entrance at Anderson Ranch, Stillwater Cove, Saltwater Creek, etc. in the Mendocino diving area.

The second thing you'll notice is that we have current and it can get big here. Many divers keep their eye on the exchange (difference between high and low tides).

The third thing you'll notice is that the size of the sealife is BIGGER in the PNW; Sealions can be 2500+ pounds (careful of the males, it is rutting season now), nudibranchs are larger, Octopus are Giants, Crab are larger here (and more plentiful), Halibut are monsters, etc. We also have more than twice the varieties of Rockfish here; my favorite coloration is the China Rockfish.

The fourth thing you'll notice is that we have far less bull kelp in the PNW.

The fifth thing you might find here is that you may have the ability to go deep very fast. I found that the Mukilteo lighthouse is a fun Friday Night dive and is poised on a steep downward sea slope.

Here is a GREAT website by the oldest and most active dive club in Seattle
http://markerbuoydiveclub.org/

The BOAT CHARTERS page will help you see your dive trip possibilities and remember that many out of Anacortes are close, only a 1.25 hr drive from N. Seattle.

If you want to do shore diving please contact the club as they have lots of free dives; lately there have been regular Wed & Thu night dives around Seattle (tend to be twilight dives at this time of year) and major outings on the weekends.

Scott

Racket:
Yes, the washington state ferries have auto ferries that you can drive a semi-truck onto.

They service Orcas, Friday harbor (Sand Juan Island) Lopez, and Shaw islands.

Good advice, but you don't need to take a ferry to go diving in the San Juans, many dive operators are on the closest mainland harbors near Anacortes

rsdiver and others.
Wow. thanks for the scoop. I have kayaks. any potential kayak diving. I dive with a group here. http://www.northcoastdivers.org/ we have a good time. I liked you suggestions about taking game and diving with a group. I look forward to seeing the large octos and such. good water overview as well. I didn't think the orcas were overly agro. neither are the whites. sometimes it just happens that way. mistaken Identity. they sure are large. WWEee! do you ever here the orcas under water?
ha yes. the sonoma and Mendocino coast. sounds like you hit some good spots out here. I have so much more here to dive. phenomenal diving. when conditions allow. my favorite spot is horseshoe cove in salt point, sonoma.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom