Visiting Monterey 4/18-4/19 - advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wanna go diving with me next weekend, or tell me where to go? (I usually have more volunteers for the latter :wink: .)

I have a meeting in Berkeley on 4/20, so I am going to fly in on the 18th in hopes of getting in a couple-few dives over the weekend. My flight lands at SFO (have to use that airport for work reasons) at about 10:30 AM on Saturday, and I need to spend Sunday night in Berkeley in order to be ready to go on Monday morning. I'll rent a car.

With the two-hour drive from SF, it seems to me I have the options of (a) maybe 3 or 4 dives on Sunday, 4/19, or (b) a night dive on 4/18, followed by a couple of morning dives on 4/19. I'll have my own equipment except that I'll need to rent: (1) enough neoprene for local conditions, (2) filled tanks, preferably Nitrox, and (3) lead.

I have 45 dives under my weightbelt, a quarter of them in the cold waters off of northern Vancouver Island.

So, I would love some suggestions from SB-ers on:

-- which shop to rent from (and possibly arrange guided or boat dives with)
-- whether to pursue buddy hook-ups or instead book guided or boat dives
-- where to stay in the area super-cheaply on Saturday night

Cheers,
EOTD

Hi EOTD,

Welcome to NorCal! I think you'll find the people and diving here very welcoming!

With the two-hour drive from SF, it seems to me I have the options of (a) maybe 3 or 4 dives on Sunday, 4/19, or (b) a night dive on 4/18, followed by a couple of morning dives on 4/19. I'll have my own equipment except that I'll need to rent: (1) enough neoprene for local conditions, (2) filled tanks, preferably Nitrox, and (3) lead.

4 dives a day would leave me pooped, but if you're including a night dive, it should be fine. The only thing to remember is that a few of the shops close fairly early, so you'll need to finish up before 5pm or earlier in order to get your rental gear returned. Another option is to arrange for rental gear for the weekend in the East Bay, and then return it Monday after you're back in town.

So, I would love some suggestions from SB-ers on:

-- which shop to rent from (and possibly arrange guided or boat dives with)
-- whether to pursue buddy hook-ups or instead book guided or boat dives
-- where to stay in the area super-cheaply on Saturday night

In Monterey, we've typically rented gear from Aquarius, on Del Monte. There's also Bamboo Reef, Monterey Bay Dive Company, and Aquarius II. All are very conveniently located. You shouldn't have any problems renting tanks and lead.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding buddies for a weekend dive. Plenty of people here will be making their weekend dive plans throughout the week, so this subforum is the right place to solicit. I can't tell you much about the boats here since I only shore dive, but I do know there are several and people generally like them a lot.

As for cheap stays, you're in luck unless a convention is in town or tourist season is in full swing. We typically stay at the Casa Verde Inn on Fremont St. It's like $50 a night (but can go up to $150 if busy!) Tripadvisor gives it one star and calls it "unfriendly and unsanitary," which is pretty generous :) There are a lot of similar budget motels right on Fremont St., a Motel 6, Vagabond Inn, etc., which I'm sure are of similar quality.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the info, Gombessa. You're probably right that with the cold water I should be thinking about 2-3 dives, rather than 3-4 dives.

Checking Internet prices on lodging, it looks like I can save about 25 bucks by sleeping in Salinas. That's $25 I can put to sampling California wine and cuisine. Any reason not to take that deal?

Try the Cypress Tree Inn, it runs around $55 a night (single) or the Travelodge on North Fremont $59, call them and tell them you are a diver to get the diver rate. You'll pay more if you book online.

I dived with Bruce from Aquarius (del monte) and enjoyed the diving very much. Try go get to Pt Lobos. Limited parking space, a park fee but it's worth going there.

There are frequently classes at Breakwater which is pretty much right across from MBDC (monterey bay dive company) shop. It's a very simple dive there. At night you can go look for the metridian fields somewhere along some big pipe. LOL, sorry I don't know where it is myself! You might be able to find a buddy or group at Breakwater.

There are also always divers going in and out of Monastery Beach. Any of the dive shop should be able to provide you with a map and where to go. They have these free touristy maps that have general locations. Be warned though, monastery can be dangerous and it gets deep fast. By fast I mean like 5 steps into the water.

Point Lobos has a limit of how many divers can be in a day and I think you have to try to get a reservation.

I wouldn't count out the boats. They are not too expensive since it's usually a 2 tank dive and they don't have to go too far. Well at least they aren't expensive to SoCal standards which is where I am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom