Visiting Kapaa, Kauai over New Years, worth diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traijin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me preface the question. I am currently taking my PADI certification without regard as to diving in the location in my topic title. I have always wanted to be certified and this trip gives me a great excuse. I can remember memorizing my fathers dive training books when I was a kid. I have a bit of experience snorkeling and its time to step up to the plate.

I have been invited to a wedding in Kapaa (eastern side of Kauai) so I'm going to spend ten days there. There is a reputable dive shop in the city (Seasport Divers) and I have reviewed all they have to offer.

My question is: I see a popular boat dive is only available in the Summer months. Is this indicative to the rest of the diving over the Winter? Is there more abundant sea life in the Summer months?

I know the East coast is not exactly known for shore diving, I see Poipu is widely regarded as excellent for shore diving, but is there reasonable aquatic sites to see on the East side or should I consider driving down every time I want to dive?

Thanks Everybody

Traijin

Generally speaking big waves batter Kauai's north shore in the winter making shore dives on that side impossible or extremely difficult. Eveyone still dives the south coast as it's sheltered by Kauai.

I don't know what boat you're referring to but if it's one going to Niihau, that crossing is only done in the summer due to rough water conditions. It's not a beginning dive even in the summer though.

Here's some info on shore dives all along the coast. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

Of the two east side sites, Ahukini is probably above your skill level. I've never been to Lydgate Beach. Anything north of there is likely undiveable in winter. I'd go to Poipu to dive.

One of the easiest entries in the Poipu area is Koloa landing. There's an old boat ramp you can walk down. My current buddy did his first dive there. And do Sheraton Caverns via boat - it's a long swim out and divers have been rescued there when they can't get back in. Good dive though, lots of big turtles live there. I've dove with Seasport, they're a good group. I haven't been to Kauai in some years so some of this may've changed.

We were in Kauai in January and will be heading back in February. Having never dived there we hooked up with a local, Juli Bohmer of Scuba Jules Home. She gave us a great introduction to the local diving. We did some shore diving at Koloa Landing. We then did couple of boat dives with Sea Sport.

Yeah, it was the Niihau dive that I say was only offered in the summer. I am still in the basic elements of planning and had not even considered the dive difficulty as of yet. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

I greatly appreciate the input thus far!

Hey Traijin,

Going to Kauai for a wedding sounds great. Need your own dive instructor to go with you?? (Just kidding) Staying on the east side is very nice for traveling around the island. You will be a hour from the end of the road on the north shore and about a hour and half to the end of the road on the west shore.

For diving in January, like as mentioned the south shore, Koloa Landing, will be the shore dive of choice. Sea Sports has a small shop in Kapaa, but the main shop is in Poi Pu. I worked for Aquatic Adventures (aascuba.com) before moving back to the mainland almost two years ago. On Kauai, all the dive shops dive the same spots except for Bubbles Below out of Port Allen. They dive a lot of southwest sites.

Call around before getting to the island and talk with the different shops. We all had different personalities, so find one you like and dive with them. Kauai is a great place to dive and there are some really great creatures to see. I miss getting my teeth cleaned by the Cleaner Shrimp, playing with an Octopus, and flying with the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles. Ask to see if a shop can show you a Dragon Moray Eel and a Frog Fish, some of my favorites.

When you get back from Paradise, let us know how the diving went.

Mike J

Excellent information, thanks folks... that tells me I definitely need to rent a car!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom