Visiting as a tourist, Caves, Key West and Key Largo - Info and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it legal to sleep in your car? i know the US can be a little strange about where etc.

But happy to do that a few times as the savings would add up!

Google says legal. I had a cop check I wasn't dead in a grocery store parking lot one night. Friendly about it when I told him I couldn't drive further and needed sleep.Thanked me for getting off the highway. My favorite was Wal-Mart and McDonald's. McDonald's has free wifi, I always went and met the night shift workers so I would be a familiar face in case.

Not legal advice here, and a little nervous attaching my name to it on a public forum. But as you will!

An extra 50$ per day to put into bottom time was well worth it. Pro car sleeping tip, ask to see the trunk space and be sure the seats fold down comfortably like a regular bed. Some compact cars do, others don't. Otherwise it's a rough night like sleeping on a bus. Also dive gear goes out of sight.

Cameron

Last edited:
As an FYI, I'll be in the Keys the last weekend in October and I booked a room at the Pelican in Key Largo for $125 per night. Which is pretty cheap for this time of year. Plan to dive w/ Conch Republic
Tell my friends at Conch that Debby Diver (aka Debby from the A-Frame) says hello! I took a break from SoFla to drive around the USA in my motorhome for a few years. Currently in Kentucky.

Is it legal to sleep in your car? i know the US can be a little strange about where etc.

But happy to do that a few times as the savings would add up!
Some places yes, some places no. Back in the day I actually paid for campsites to sleep in my car. Probably easier to get away with it if you have (or as a tourist, rent) a van. There is a huge nationwide community of "vandwellers" that I've come to know as a full-time RVer. They are interesting people!

So nearly time to go, sorting out some final details.

Im flying into FLL but all the flights are afternoon 3pm or evening 6pm arrival and then a 5 hour drive up to cave country. Might be a bit much for me to do in one day.....if you were driving from FLL north where would you stop thats cheap? I could head south and stay in Hollywood/Miami in a 15-20USD hostel but not enthusiastic about hading into the city..

Give Horizon Divers in KL a call. They are tech oriented. I dove with them last year and did a double dip on the Spiegel Grove. They are a great shop.

Zeke XA3,

If you still haven't made you way down to Key West for your diving give us a look at Finz Dive Center. We run 6pak dive charters out of Hurricane Hole Marina on Stock Island. We require at least two people to run an open boat trip, where we can add more divers to the trip. We always put a dive master in the water on every trip and we do welcome tech divers. We also offer private charters where you can spearfish and lobster while in season. We are one of the only dive charters in Key West that has all the permits to run trips out to the Dry Tortugas, which most say is absoutly amazing diving. You can check us out at www.finzdivecenter.com, shoot us an email at info@finzdivecenter.com or give us a call at 305-395-0880. We hope you have or had a great time diving in Florida.

Finz Crew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom