Visit to Alaska in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to add to what covediver stated, there is also jetboating up to the Knik Glacier which is incredible (personally I'd rather do that than 20-mile, but to each his own).

Also there is a great guide service that takes people on glacier tours of the Matanuska Glacier. I forget the company name, but they are right there on site near the beginning of the road that goes from the Glen Hwy to the glacier. They have all the gear, and the people are really cool. I took a bunch of visiting relatives on that tour this summer, and even though I've been all over that glacier on my own, I enjoyed myself.

MICA guides just past the Rifle Lodge, look for the yurt. You can make reservations on their website. The guides are great. I have used them the last two summers with visitors to Alaska and have not been disappointed.

There is also rafting down the Matanuska River as well as rafting from Hope (which I understand has some pretty good rapids). Since you are coming in June, you should hit real good weather.

If you are going to do the more popular activities around Denali, make your reservations early.

MICA, that's it. Those guys (gals actually) were awesome. And NOVA does some great Mat River runs, good point. That should be in excellent shape at the end of May/beginning of June.

Also, if you are into microbrews you will think you have died and gone to heaven.
In Anchorage, Mooses Tooth just off New Seward Highway (where it divides into old Seward Highway). It is the best. The Bear Tooth Theater Pub is owned by the same people but shows second release movies, with a bar and food. The Glacier Brew House downtown has great beer and excellent food, a little more upscale than Mooses Tooth. The Snow Goose downtown has great views of the Inlet, a nice upstairs deck, tasty beer, but I have found the food not to be as good as other places in town. In Juneau, Alaska Brewing Company (Alaska summer ale is the state water) and other microbrews on tap at the Hangar on the waterfront downtown. (sorry, don't know southeast that well). In Fairbanks, Silver Gulch microbrew. Suggest you also visit Hot Licks ice cream near the University.

When you say you dont want to camp does that include campers? My best suggestion for a nice relaxing trip is to rent a pickup mounted camper or small motorhome so you can get around and not have to pack and unpack all the time. If you find someplace you realy like you can stay extra with no worries.
Rent in Los Anchorage, drive north to Denali for a day then return. Drive to Homer/Seward/Valdez and fish/camp/hike/sightsee. That will eat up your 12 days.

my fondest memory of my 6 weeks in alaska/bc was the town Hyder

unfortunately i dont remember too much aboot it, not once you started on that clear drink they serve you in the bar there

and yes to Denali

and is Kennicott the abandonded mine town with glacier??? that was cool also

I'll second the comments regarding both the train trip between Anchorage and Seward, and kayaking in the Resurrection Bay (Seward) area. There's a lot to see on the Kenai Peninsula, and you could easily spend your entire time biking, hiking and kayaking between Anchorage and Seward. A lot of family/friends who have come to visit me (I live in the Aleutians) have spent time in that area and all have enjoyed it - very accessible if you don't have a whole lot of time. There's also a couple of mountain bike tour companies that operate out of the Anchorage-MatSu Valley area, with multi-day trips in the Chugach - I've never been on any of them, but have heard very good comments from those who have.

We can take you out and provide gear to dive in Resurrection Bay. After a day of diving, we can drop you off at a remote location with a couple of Kayaks to explore the coastline the following day. You can camp and hike in the evenings all in the comfort of a camp provided by an expert guide. Hot meals, a skiff to take you from one shore location to another are all available. Hike to a 100 ft high waterfall and see sea lions, puffins, mountain goat, whales and bear from the comfort of our liveaboard vessel. If you arre a little more budget-minded, we can still dive, and drop you off for a day or two of kayaking and hiking on your own for less than $500 per person
Welcome to vDeck

Back
Top Bottom