Visit MarineBio.org to learn more about the critters you see underwater!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
That's over a million species. You guys must have one heck of a server.

Actually, you're right. David has put a LOT into making sure that we have the capacity to get as many species up as possible with enough space to do justice to each of them. It's been a rather expensive endeavor, but if we can bring the wonders of the ocean to people, with the hope that it will become a great resource and foster appreciation for the seas and their critters - it will have been worth it!

Just today the US goverment released a report on the state of the oceans, and it ain't pretty. If we want to continue to enjoy them throughout our lifetimes, and if we want future generations to be able to enjoy them as well - we gotta get busy and make sure they're appreciated and therefore protected.

But don't get me started

At least, yeah, we're on commerical servers now that can handle whatever is thrown at them. By that time we'll be spread out and mirrored and hopefully funded as well. Will probably still be working on it when I'm retired. lol

I hope that you're species write ups aren't done from scratch! There are so many other online species databases floating around I'm thinking you're coordinating/integrating with some of them (i.e. Fishbase, CephBase)? The format's really good on your site though... the professional databases aren't usually all that fun to work in. MarineBio is more of what I think of as "science fun".

So far marinebio looks like it's vertebrate emphasis, with no specific focus 'cept being popular-type species. Actually I'm poignantly reminded of those "safari cards" I had as a kid when I read these species factoids... those were GREAT, can't believe I threw them all away.

Hey wait, now I know what this site reminds me of! The introductory marine biology textbook. Ha ha, this is an online version. My students will see THIS and never buy the stinking book now!

Too funny. Yeah I suppose it is sort of a MB 101 (hope to make it useful to researchers too eventually)... when I first got online I looked for Cousteau-type sites and found none, just pieces here and there. Either there were photographers taking awesome photos of critters they know little about or science pages with lots o facts but no photos. With all the hoopla about land animals I figured there needed to be a site about marine life that was more than either of the above. We're concentrating on common ones first (and suggested ones) and will then go after deep sea and expanding all the common families. The framework is now tested and ready, just need about 2 hours per species.... Btw, I am using the Castro & Huber and the Nybakken texts to help shape/guide the content. Figure that the more people know about marine life the more likely they might be to help protect it... also, I grew up on Cousteau's books and films, here's my tribute to him.

Where do you teach? A&M Galveston? Took an invertebrate course there over the summer years ago while getting my BS in Geology in College Station. Would love to get a BS in Marine Biology from there some day too....

Hi fellow divers,

Fellow ScubaBoard member "Marinebio" and I have a website called MarineBio.org that we hope will educate the public on marine conservation issues and on their favorite marine critters to foster an appreciation of our beautiful oceans and reefs. We publish a newsletter 3x/year and thought you might enjoy it. :fish: :fish:

MarineBio Newsletter, July 2004 Issue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The July 2004 issue of the MarineBio Newsletter is now available at:

July 2004 MarineBio newsletter

This issue contains:

- MarineBio.org News

- Featured Species: The Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

- Issues in Marine Conservation – Overfishing

- Preliminary Report of the US Commission on Ocean Policy

- MarineBio Recommends: Song for the Blue Ocean & The Blue Planet

- Advice for Up & Coming Marine Scientists

- The Sea Below ~ Expedition :: Bonaire

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can subscribe by visiting any page at http://MarineBio.org and in the MarineBio Newsletter box enter your Name and E-mail Address and select Subscribe and then click the Sign Up button.

Just logged onto your site to check it out and was impressed by the information and visual appeal. Nice job.

Noticed you had a link to The Cousteau Society. Given their record over the last 5-10 years, I personally (IMHO) don't consider them to be a real marine biology/conservation resource any more.

Keep up the good work!

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom