Visibility...what a concept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There wouldn't be "good viz" if there wasn't "bad viz."

Out in the Gulf of Mexico, I once asked why it was required that I have more ocean dives in order to be considered for the science expedition I was then on. I was told by a group leader it was to make certain I was "up to the rigors of ocean diving". I looked back at the person and said, "Hmmm. Let me see...where I normally dive, the vis is about to your fin tips, the water is commonly 65 degrees, and I wear every stitch of neoprene I own. Here, vis is 150 plus, it's 85 degrees and I'm a bit too warm in my shorty. WHAT 'RIGORS' ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

Admittedly, I am spoiled. The water temp right now, here, is 93 fahrenheit....I don't even know where I stashed my neoprene. I haven't used any in years.. Vis though, can be anywhere from 50' to 5'. And they are All good dives. Then I get someone who has only been in Australasia or the Red Sea, freaking out when our vis is great(to me) at 20'. Pansies..... All dives are good dives.

Out in the Gulf of Mexico, I once asked why it was required that I have more ocean dives in order to be considered for the science expedition I was then on. I was told by a group leader it was to make certain I was "up to the rigors of ocean diving". I looked back at the person and said, "Hmmm. Let me see...where I normally dive, the vis is about to your fin tips, the water is commonly 65 degrees, and I wear every stitch of neoprene I own. Here, vis is 150 plus, it's 85 degrees and I'm a bit too warm in my shorty. WHAT 'RIGORS' ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

You got that right! Even with the big swells (which caused a back and forth surge at the bottom) and the so called "bad viz" (about 20') and greater depth off Oahu, I felt more relaxed and comfortable than on a typical dive at CSSP.

Ive only beeen certified a month and a half now and have about 40 dives and my best vis ive ever seen was on a day with awap at stillhouse, what was it about 2-10' max.

My best vis so far has to be one of those times when I couldn't even see my gauge held directly against my mask. Of course I have been to cozumel and in the cenotes but that unlimited viz is way over rated. no viz was much more fun!

~Jess

That´s funny, I got use to dive in 20´viz or lower since my checkout, so now I only log details of viz when it´s greater than 20´.

20' vis! LUCKKKKKY!

20' vis! LUCKKKKKY!

Unless we have check out divers in... then you know... But even then it´s not a bad dive, I´ve found out that I got very good at navigation
smileyblind2799189lr6.gif

Hahaha - as my mom always says: 'there's nothing like a reference point.' And as long as you keep CSSP as your reference point then everything is crystal clear :) Why spoil every dive because you keep comparing it to 80 ft viz in Cozumel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom