Visibility and Wildlife in Panama in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi,
A couple friends and I are planning to scuba in Panama in January. We have one experienced diver and a couple beginners. We are trying to decide between the Carribean side or Pacific side. We are mostly wanting to know about visibility that time of year as well as any extra wildlife that might be around. After reading many reviews on here, I think we are considering Portobelo or Isla Contadora. My friends went to Contadora last July and saw the whales which they said was incredible. Is there anything exciting like that in January? Thanks so much!

Visibility at Portobelo will vary between 50 and 15 feet. It depends on the dive site and the weather. January is the dry season in Panama, which means there will be less run-off affecting visibility.

My wife and I dove Portobelo a few weeks ago. The vis was 30 to 50 feet. We didn't see as much marine life as in years past. The lionfish have taken their toll.

If you go to Portobelo, dive with Golden Frog Scuba. You won't be disappointed! Rey Sanchez is the most customer focused dive master/owner/operator of any I have dove with in Panama! He provides total valet service. And, when we got back on the boat, his assistant each of us a quarter of the tastiest, juiciest pineapple I've ever eaten.

There are opportunities to see land-based wildlife in the Portobelo area, such as coatis, ñeques and sloths. Portobelo Adventures offers trail rides, guided hiking and kayaking.

I have tried repeatedly to make arrangements to go diving at Contadora. I've never had an email answered, even when I wrote in Spanish. They seem to be more focused on snorkeling. The only thing I've heard about diving at Contadora is from a couple of my Panamanian diving friends. Their recommendation was, "Don't bother. It's not worth it." They said visibility at depth was not good, corals were very few in small patches and they saw very little marine life.

You won't see whales in the Pearl Islands in January. They go there and to Isla Coiba to calve throughout July and August. In January, they are far south.

Have you considered Bocas del Toro? It's also Caribbean diving, very similar to Portobelo in conditions and marine life. There are more tourist activities there and a much wider selection of places to stay. La Buga is the dive op to go with there.

Interested as well. Will be there on a family vacation over new years in Panama city, looking to sneak away for a day of diving and hopefully squeeze in 3 dives.

@gb_williams Thanks so much for the info! I’ve only heard great things about Golden Frog too. We have thought about Boca. What I’ve read made it seem very touristy. We would prefer more quiet and chill, so Portobelo or Contadora sound more our speed. Thanks again!

A huge second for Rey at Golden Frog Scuba. His operation is small, but very personalized. My buddy and I dive with him every year in June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom