Visa/passport to travel to USVI/PR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dont know if this is the right forum, but it didnt seem geographically too far off :wink:

I believe i am in a slightly unique situation at this time, or at least unusual to say the least. I am a British citizen who lives and works in the US on a work visa. Recently my 1st visa ran out, i have the renewal papers all signed and ready (i am legally able to stay here and work til i get this done), but require to get back to the UK to have a new visa stamped in my passport. So to my mind i am able to stay within the US territory until i have vacation, cash and suitable opportunity to do this little 2 week trip.

So that is the background, my actual question relates to travelling to one of the non-50 states US territories, ie USVI or PR. Do you need a passport to enter them if you are leaving the US and returning there? If i fly to another state all i need is my drivers license and i am good to go, this also includes those not directly connected with mainland US, such as Hawaii or Alaska. I was therefore wondering if these two great dive destination required me to show my visa for re-entry into US (as it hasnt been restamped that is not a possibility)? I would hate to be stranded in a country due to this - i will also ask my immigration lawyer, but thought i would quiz you guys on whether you have to show passports or get a visa when you do the trip either way.

although this doesn't actually answer your question (as I never made a trip to USVI, so am unsure if they require you to travel on a passport or if you can do it using your driving license) in order to renew your visa you don't actually need to head back to the UK, you can do it, for example in the US embassy in Bahamas. As you know, in the UK, you will need to get an appointment at the embassy (only possible to arrange from a UK landline phone at about $2/minute) and then after turning up for an interview, they mail the passport back to you (this can take quite a time)- in the Bahamas you can turn up 1st thing in the morning and get it done on the spot (well 3-4 hours or so) [before trying it in the Bahamas, check with them at VisaNassau@state.gov to explain your exact situation, as you may only be able to use this option X number of days before your current visa was due to expire e.g. 60 days- and if your I-94 entry is gone past, you may need to go to the embassy in London in order to get the new visa)....I did the one in the Bahamas so my company could pay for a dive vacation :)

BTW: Hawaii - you will definately have no problem as there is no customs/imigration
......at a guess USVI could cause you problems.

Thanks for the help. Regarding using visa international, i know i have to leave the country to get my visa renewed, it can no longer be done within these borders. As for visas in Nassau, have emailed them, will see what they say, i could get yet another vacation out of it assuming they can renew the visa. Of course after that it doesnt matter where i vacation really as long as i have the re-entry visa (unless one of the axis of evil type countries :wink: ). I thought it might be a long shot on PR or USVI, my immigration lawyer agreed it was a grey area and it might be a risk.

Hey Simon -- sounds to me like you're in H-1B status with an approved I-797 (valid for an additional 3 years) but an entry visa that has expired. Yes? I say listen to your immigration attorney -- although these are U.S. territories, you will have to go through passport control. With so many new immigration regulations, and so many new border control staff in the airports, it's just too risky. Hawaii might be a good alternative?? Otherwise you're "stuck" :wink: in Florida until you go someplace where you can get the new H-1B entry visa. This is most securely done in your home country, but can also usually be done in Canada in just a couple of days (you must make an appointment in advance). Ask your attorney about this option if it seems it might be easier than a trip to the UK. Cheers!

So long as you are considering dive destinations, you could get the paperwork done at the US Embassy in Palau? It's a bit of a haul to get there, but I've heard the diving is good. :wink: Besides, the embassy staff probably don't get to do that sort of paperwork nearly as often there.

You might want to check out this link which states that you will need proof of citizenship when departing the USVI for the US mainland.

pigletfish:
Hey Simon -- sounds to me like you're in H-1B status with an approved I-797 (valid for an additional 3 years) but an entry visa that has expired. Yes? I say listen to your immigration attorney -- although these are U.S. territories, you will have to go through passport control. With so many new immigration regulations, and so many new border control staff in the airports, it's just too risky. Hawaii might be a good alternative?? Otherwise you're "stuck" :wink: in Florida until you go someplace where you can get the new H-1B entry visa. This is most securely done in your home country, but can also usually be done in Canada in just a couple of days (you must make an appointment in advance). Ask your attorney about this option if it seems it might be easier than a trip to the UK. Cheers!
Those numbers sound about right, i was never very good at recall numbers - which is probably a good thing as i deal with them all day, would hate to remember all of them afterwards :wink: You are correct on all accounts regarding my visa situation. Although i was informed that i could do it in Canada, they couldnt give me any useful advice regarding where or who to work through, same with other third party countries, hence getting in touch with Nassau - as its a really short and cheap plan ride - will see how that turns out when they reply.

Worst case is that i can only travel within the 50 states and am "stuck" here til i make it back to the UK next fall. I can think of worse places to be stuck and of course worse options to vacation in than HI.

When you arrive in the USVI from the mainland US, you do not have to pass through customs and immigration. However, upon return to the mainland US, you will pass through customs and immigration before boarding the flight. I know this doesn't answer your question about documentation, but I thought it might be helpful for you to know the general procedure. Going to/from PR should be the same as USVI.

I am a US resident, but not a US citizen. We went to PR in August, and there was absolutely no customs or immigration to pass through in either NY or in San Juan. There was just the standard ID check at the counter and security. It's treated as a domestic flight. I had my passport and "green card" with me, just in case, but it was never requested. I just showed a drivers license for photo ID upon check in. If you're flying within the US, including PR, they assume you already made it into the country and your papers were checked or you wouldn't be here.

I haven't been to the USVI, so I can't confirm whether it's the same as PR or not. I would expect that it would be.

Sounds like it is not the same. I think we had to show proof of citizenship leaving USVI for the US, though it was awhile ago. But I just checked, and found basically this same statement many times:

You don’t need a passport when you arrive in the U.S. Virgin Islands if you are a U.S. citizen. But if you have one, bring it along. It comes in handy when you leave. Here’s why: U.S. Immigration and Naturalization officials require identity when you return home. The reason — the U.S. Virgin Islands are a “port of entry” to mainland United States so though it’s easy to get here, you are re-entering the U.S. when you leave the islands and Immigration inspects all citizenship documents.

If you don’t have a passport, a birth certificate and photo identification are acceptable. Non-U.S. citizens who are “permanent residents” need to show a certificate of alien registration or “green card” upon leaving the territory. International visitors tend to know what they need — a valid passport and a green I-94 for those coming from countries where a U.S. visa is not necessary; or a passport and white I-94 if they are from a country where entry visas are required for the U.S.

My theory is, they probably figure there's more chance for someone to get into the USVI via boat or otherwise slip through the cracks in a few small islands without going through US immigration, so they check on the way back to the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom