Virus -- W32.Blaster.Worm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
As you may have heard - Internet users are experiencing problems with their computers shutting down abruptly. It is the result of a computer vulnerability and is being experienced by computer users around the world.

It is due to a computer worm that scans computers checking to see if a setting on your computer,and if it is, the worm takes advantage of the computer and shuts it down.

If your computer has not been infected, you should go to one of the web sites shown below to update your anti-virus software or install a patch to prevent infection.

Here is an update from Symantec (Norton):

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Here is an update from McAfee:

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100547

This virus has already hit many folks I know... so protect yourselves.

if you have already been hit by the worm, there IS a way to solve the shutdown issue.

if you click start, then run, then type in: "shutdown -a" it will stop the shutdown, then you can get to an antivirus site to get the removal tool, and then get to the microsoft site to get the patch.

Since this is a Microsoft specific virus, make sure you visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and have the latest patches installed... i.e windows 2000 users should have SP3 or 4 installed.

My virus software autoupdates itself...and is on 24 hours a day. So, I think I'm fine...

Great info though....I heard on the news that 30,000 computers worldwide have been infected.

--Sean

scubasean once bubbled...
My virus software autoupdates itself...and is on 24 hours a day. So, I think I'm fine...

Great info though....I heard on the news that 30,000 computers worldwide have been infected.

--Sean

Even though they say they update, if it is turned off in msconfig it will not work. Just something to think about. :)

If you have the worm and your system is being shut down by the NT authority do the following.

Goto to the run button and type cmd, and hit enter.

At the command line type:

shutdown /a

then hit enter. THis will abort the shutdown.

Good Luck

cobaltbabe once bubbled...

Even though they say they update, if it is turned off in msconfig it will not work. Just something to think about. :)

Well....it is turned on and operating.

And, I checked for the virus definition, and its there....(I haven't done a live virus test in a month or so...this one would be a neat one to try.) :boom:

Hello,

This is a low threat virus and is receiving way to much media hype. As for removal/cleanup it's super simple and requires very little.

Ed

..unless you got it. :wink:

Blacknet once bubbled....
This is a low threat virus and is receiving way to much media hype. As for removal/cleanup it's super simple and requires very little.

All the bad viruses that go around and I've never been hit before, so I actually thought that all the other warnings were more hype than this one... so I guess it's all in one's perspective. :)

We got it from our bank's network, I think.

tried to goto MSN to get the fix and as soon as I get there ...shutdown. Thanks for the tips.

I read that it is relatively benign but it somebody could create a much worse virus that exploits the same "hole" in the MS software. So I guess I was lucky in that sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom