Virginia's Fisherman Identification Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Fellow Divers,

Wanted to let you know about a new program for Virginia Fisherman sponsored by the Virginia Marine Resource Commission (VRMC).

By now we've all had exposure to NOAA's National Saltwater Angler Registry and also know that it now costs you $15 to renew your card in 2011. VRMC's Fisherman ID program costs nothing and fulfills the requirement of NOAA's registry program!

Here's the Reader's Digest version, you can learn more from VRMC's website; Virginia Fisherman Identification Program

- It's supportive of the National Saltwater Angler's Registry program.
- It's FREE....National SW Angler Registry now costs you $15.
- Can be done online or by phone 800.723.2728 (phone only gets you a number assigned)
- You'll be provided a number after registering, but can also print a card (PDF) if done online.
- If you have a VIRGINIA Saltwater License you don't need to register under either program (VRMC's FIP or National SW Angler Registry). Your personal VA SW Fishing License covers you.
- However, if you fish off a boat with a Recreational Vessel SW Fishing License (like my boat) you don't need a license but YOU DO NEED to have your FIP number (or the National SW Angler Registry) if you're going to take fish.
- If you're coming down from Maryland and have a MD Saltwater Fishing License, though recognized by VA, you still need to get the VRMC FIP number IF you're fishing in VA waters. Reciprocity agreement between VA/MD honors license but not ID program. There's no reciprocity agreement on licenses with NC.
- The VRMC website covers just about all the questions you might have. If not, give them a call.

I met recently with Joe Grist of VRMC and talked about the program. Virginia created this program to meet the requirement to have a state registry of anglers in support of the National Marine Fisheries Service. In doing so, they eliminated the need for Virginia licensed fisherman to enroll in the National Registry, or for anyone covered under a VA license. They don't plan on issuing cards or do mailings in order to keep it a NO COST program to you.

So what kind of contact are you going to get? Well, in the last year under the National SW Angler Registry I've been contacted once and asked how many trips I've made taking fish in the last 90 days. You can answer their online survey after they send you a note, or wait for the phone call.

Good info for all...don't put your Skipper in a bind with VRMC.

Safe Diving,
Wil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom