Virgin diver needs to go from no experience - employed ASAP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to reiterate what Neilwood said earlier. Get certified and decided if you actually like it. Also, keep in mind that it is very much a customer-service job. You really need to enjoy dealing with paying customers (not always easy) as much as diving, or it quickly becomes a serious drag.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

identical threads were merged

Last edited:
I was a instructor but when I got out of the military ended up trying college and well...winter was coming so I went to Cayman with about $800 in pocket, stayed 5 years and been in the industry to now. It hasn't been a total disaster and mostly a ton of fun.

Work hard, want it, love it and remember that it is always going to be work and work isn't always awesome. If you think a dive industry career is all boats, beach and cool dives...don't come, you'll end up disillusioned like so many others in the dive industry.

I am so tired of all the folks that think being in the dive industry sucks, the ONLY reason it sucks is because of people with their attitude make it suck.

It's your life, you're path, seize it.

How many languages do you speak? Fluently? Do you mind working 16 hours a day and getting what little sleep there is in a cramped bunk room? Enjoy cleaning and maintaining marine heads? Or schlepping scuba tanks to and from the fill station two hours before the first dive, and again after the last?
Understand that any money you make during the first couple years will come from jobs other than living the dream of swimming in turquoise waters while teaching bikini clad models how to clear their mask.

This would make a good little documentary. Jumping into the water totally naked, metaphorically speaking of course. Consider filming your trials and tribulations along the way. If you are young enough, and become empassioned with it, you may scrape your way through. Most dive staff I chat with when I am diving are pretty poor, and some quite jaded. It's a big plunge that you are about to take. Good luck.

I tried my best to figure out how to close my office and live the dive life... After a little research I realized I'm not quitting my day job. There's just simply very few ways to find treasure from the ocean.

If I were going to do it, I'd probably go the Six Pack route. I'd try my best to have a charter that caters to fisherman, scuba divers, freedivers, spearos, tourist cruises, etc. and ultimately just make sure everyone has a lot of fun on my boat on the water and can't wait to book another trip.

But to do that requires a lot of diving, fishing and boating knowledge, licenses, certs. and insurance, entrepreneurship spirit, dedication, hard work and know how and the realization you're probably not going to get rich doing what you love.

One question that I didn't see discussed yet is what was the business you sold? Does the field you are coming from give you any should that would be marketable in the dive world?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom