Virgin diver needs to go from no experience - employed ASAP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi, I'm from LA, CA. I'm selling my business and will probably have 35-40k USD to exist on until I can start working as a scuba diver in some capacity.

I'm exploring everything right now. From best budget destinations, (tropical or sub tropical preferably), to costs not only for the courses, but cost of living as well in that country. I need to know minmum length of time from literally beginner, to a stage where I can seek employment as a diver. Possibility of working extra in exchange for housing or discount on courses?

Will 35k USD even be enough to exist on anywhere until I get to an employment ready stage?

Basically, I'm leaving my life in LA to seek employment, (and travel) as a diver, with about 35k and zero experience. This isn't a diving vacation, this is a career move. I need recommendations, suggestions, advice, reality checks, tips, and referrals. Come at me.

Thanks, Matt

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please note that this thread combines two threads on the same topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound like a plan for success. You might want to search for other threads about working as a dive master or instructor. Basically, dive masters don't get paid. Instructors get paid a little, but not enough to count on as a steady income unless there are other jobs associated with being an instructor.

Starting with zero experience will only make things more difficult. You would have a better chance if you reached the point of being a dive master candidate before selling your business. Then you would also have a better idea if being a scuba professional is the life for you.

To put it simply. Bad idea. Here in the Philippines there are very few full-time instructors. They usually have "day jobs". Even the "high end" tech instructors.

I certainly wouldn't plan on a scuba diving career without even having done the basic OW course.

You may find that scuba is either difficult for you to pick up or that something physical stops you (such as inner ear issues, inability to equalise etc). You may even find you don't like scuba diving (it isn't for everyone - a friend did some off the Great Barrier Reef, was fine in a pool but soon as there was open water he got psyched out by it).

There are zero to hero programmes out there but even having finished one of those, you may not get a job quickly due to lack of experience, lack of other skills that make you more employable (a lot of DM/instructors have other skills such as mechanical, reg servicing etc) etc. These other skills not only make you more employable but they often attract more money making a career more viable.

You know what the difference is between a dive instructor and a large pizza?

A large pizza can feed a family of four.

Now that that's out of the way. You might check out Gopro Utila I think they have a program such as what you are looking for.

I know dive masters don't get paid. I'm talking about employment in SOME capacity, after taking even some specialty courses. How much time, how much cost, which countries. I don't need reasons why/how it can't be done, what I need is direction in HOW to make this happen. Thank you

I certainly wouldn't plan on a scuba diving career without even having done the basic OW course.

You may find that scuba is either difficult for you to pick up or that something physical stops you (such as inner ear issues, inability to equalise etc). You may even find you don't like scuba diving (it isn't for everyone - a friend did some off the Great Barrier Reef, was fine in a pool but soon as there was open water he got psyched out by it).

There are zero to hero programmes out there but even having finished one of those, you may not get a job quickly due to lack of experience, lack of other skills that make you more employable (a lot of DM/instructors have other skills such as mechanical, reg servicing etc) etc. These other skills not only make you more employable but they often attract more money making a career more viable.

What is reg servicing?

What non-diving skills do you have? How about finding employment other than diving then pursuing diving on the side. The scuba and hotel/resort/hospitality industry are often intertwined. The tech instructors I know in the Philippines are often expats working for multinationals and teaching courses on the side.

You know what the difference is between a dive instructor and a large pizza?

A large pizza can feed a family of four.

Now that that's out of the way. You might check out Gopro Utila I think they have a program such as what you are looking for.

That looks really good. Can you recommend anything like that maybe cheaper?

Back
Top Bottom