VIP class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northern Diver;
Why not take the course, pay your money then find an LDS to put one or two days a week in. That way you'll be making up the $ difference quickly!
A big plus may be that the shop may give you an employee discount! or order something for you at cost+shipping.:D:D

The only problem with this approach, is that you then cease to be doing it on your own and thumbing your nose at those rip off artists, and become one of "them", the ones who insist on doing what they've learned properly, instead of what you want.

I've had several people enquire of me what it takes to establish a hydro station or start doing VIP's. I've shared what I know with all of them. All but one have quickly concluded that there is no money to be made and that the rates being charged aren't unreasonable. The one who thought otherwise, attended and paid for training and began doing VIP's only for his friends and the local BSAC Club members. I think he has since determined, "it's not worth the headaches" and only takes care of his own equipment.

Time for a little high school math. To make this easy $50 a year for the inspections. $250 for the inital class, $150 for tools/stickers and $50 for the renewal every three years.

N is the number of years

50 * N = total cost at the store

250 + 150 + 50 * N/3 = total cost to do it myself

50 * N = 250 + 150 + 50 * N / 3

N = 12 years. So after 12 years you recoup your money.

$8 for a VIP+ is pretty cheap. Around here VIPs run 10-15. I have 7 cylinders plus they need to be O2 clean which runs $40 a shot at the shop. So my pay back time is quicker.

Also remember if you do this for friends and they slip you a $5, 6 pack of beer, or even free you are now doing this "professionally" and are subject liability if something goes a miss.

As for the shops that want a VIP+ on all AL cylinders tell them to blow themselves - have them fill a HP steel for you whip out your whip and trans fill it. Then give a call to Lufxer and Catalina and tell them that this store is hurting the industry because no one is going to want to buy Al cylinders with all the hoops the "self regulating" diving industry is making folks do.

Well then, I dont get air from the shops in my area for they are "demanding the VIP plus on ALL AL's) I have AL's and dont feel like purchasing steel tanks. SCUBA is a "self regulating" industry and not much I can do about it. I rebuild my own regulators (Aqualungs and Sherwoods) to keep from being at the mercy of the LDS not to mention some of the poor performing regs I got back from a supposed overhaul. But for me, it is a matter of economics and with six AL's and paying $8 per VIP, it just dont add up for me to do my own.

If I were spending the monies that you are on VIP's and O2 cleaning, I maybe more inclined to take the PSI class too.

I asked about the class cause I am a member of a public safety dive team and we no longer have a member that can do VIP's so every year each member sends in at least 4 tanks and the team has a dozen tanks so thats 80 tanks per year minimum for our own team not including friends and family. The only local shop charges $21 for a VIP and fill each otherwise its a 160 mile round trip for $8 VIP's with fill.

I get free air through the fire dept, or the team members that have compressors, or next year we will have a team compressor hopefully so paying for air is not an issue. I figure I would be doing between 80 and 100 VIP's per year so that would justify the class which would be paid for by the team and I would not charge anyone for the VIP for liability sake.

I asked about the class cause I am a member of a public safety dive team and we no longer have a member that can do VIP's so every year each member sends in at least 4 tanks and the team has a dozen tanks so thats 80 tanks per year minimum for our own team not including friends and family. The only local shop charges $21 for a VIP and fill each otherwise its a 160 mile round trip for $8 VIP's with fill.

I get free air through the fire dept, or the team members that have compressors, or next year we will have a team compressor hopefully so paying for air is not an issue. I figure I would be doing between 80 and 100 VIP's per year so that would justify the class which would be paid for by the team and I would not charge anyone for the VIP for liability sake.

NorthWoodsDiver: The PSI class would be a good class for . For the VCI class, you will be able to do the SCBA and SCUBA tanks.

From the PSI web site:

VCI - Visual Cylinder Inspector Course - This certification course teaches the basics of conducting the annual visual inspections of solid wall and composite SCUBA and SCBA cylinders. The 6 - 8 hour course is suited for those new to visual inspection well as those who have been inspecting without formal training through its wide range of inspection subjects including damage limits, neck cracking, and laws affecting inspectors. Additionally, this course meets the OSHA and DOT requirements for employee HAZMAT training and attendants completing the course are qualified to conduct HAZMAT training for cylinder handlers . Previously certified inspectors may attend this full course under the VCIR for re-qualification. The course is open to anyone 16 years or older and no previous cylinder inspection experience is required. Participants receive certification as Visual Cylinder Inspectors upon course completion

It makes sense to me. I have 5 deco bottles and 12 steel tanks for back gas. That ends up being a lot of VIP's every year. Plus, I have always found that the more you know about any eqipment intensive sport the better so the knowledge itself has value beyond the economics of your personal VIP's.

It makes sense to me. I have 5 deco bottles and 12 steel tanks for back gas. That ends up being a lot of VIP's every year. Plus, I have always found that the more you know about any eqipment intensive sport the better so the knowledge itself has value beyond the economics of your personal VIP's.

The very reason I went thru the PSI program!
:wink:

Regarding the math post. I don't think $150 is reasonable for the tools cost. The cost of an white light inspection lamp and a black light inspection lamp (for nitrox tanks) is well in excess of $150. then there are the probes, mirrors, etc. I spent about $500 for all my tools. I own a lot of tanks of various types (as do friends who come to me for inspection) so it all worked out.

As for the comments about the eddy current. That's only required for certain categories of AL tanks. If you don't have them then you don't need one.

I also agree about the comments about post PSI class. I also felt a bit nervous about doing the inspections. But, we have to start somewhere. I just partnered up with a fella that was very experienced and apprenticed.

I based the equipment cost off a basic visual kit from PSI which runs $141. But you are correct there are other costs if you do not have the correct lights and what not. But my point was more than one needs to determine what the break even point is. And as Aquamaster notes it is not always the monetary gain that you have to figure in.

To whit - I have probably spent more money on my home brew system than what I will ever save in terms buying a good micro-breed beer. So what I sure have fun brewing and drinking it. The same with my scuba tools - although that will probably save me money in the long term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom