VIP class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to get certified to do VIP's, who would I contact, where are classes held, how much do they cost (approx). Thanks

TDI has a class that I took from an instructor in the Chicago area. It was a good class that was well taught.

If you don't find anyone locally, there is usually a class at Our World Underwater in February.

PSI / PCI

I did my course thru an instructor of PSI. Several of the scuba cert. agencies offer programs also such as TDI for an example. PSI is probably the most common agency. My program took about 8.5 hours and I was lucky to be the only student, so got a lot of instruction/hands on time in the lab portion of the course.

Cost varies from local and instructor.

I took the PSI class. It's a good class, and I learned a lot, but at the end of it, I still didn't feel really competent to VIP my own tanks. I'd want to do a bit of internship before that.

PSI is probably the most common course. But, as Lynne said, you really need to be looking at quite a few tanks to become comfortable with what you're looking for. It takes a lot of tanks before you see all the failure modes in their variing degrees and can become confident in your ability to differentiate between acceptable and not.

I need to get certified to do VIP's, who would I contact, where are classes held, how much do they cost (approx). Thanks

As others suggested the PSI course. It runs $250.00 and you have to recertify every three years at $50.00. There is a problem with this though. A lot of the air fill stations are starting to insist that the AL tanks are VIP plus (eddy tested) or they wont fill the tanks. The Flare machine is around $1000.00 dollars. Also, if you go into a fill station and remark that you inspected your own tanks and your not a tech for a LDS, they could also refuse to fill your tank.

My VIP plus are running at 8 dollars each. 6 tanks per year. $48 per year X 3 years = $144. The class is $250. I would actually be loosing money by taking the class. And I would be loosing my eddy test also for I dont want to buy a $1000 Flare machine. So you would really need to be doing quite a bit of your tanks to "justify" the cost IMHO.

I did Betail's VIP course in Chicago. I teach TDI's VIP course. I've also been through PSI's course. I have found both courses to cover the same materials and procedures. When I did my PSI class, I paid $250. That was 4 years ago. I charge $150 for my VIP class and only charge the $15 certification fee for the re-training every 3 years. Depedning on how many tanks you have or will have, it may makes sense to take the class. I currently own 20+ tanks. The cost of VIPs on them would be in the area of $250 a year (cheapest place I've found for VIPs is $12 a tank). I do the O2 cleaning and VIPs on all my friends tanks. You may be able to do visuals for your buddies to offset the cost of the class or at least buy you beer. :)

Duane

northen diver has the info dawn pat. I took my course from Diving Technologies International and they also have a very good class. Diving Technologies Int.
I inspect tanks for family, friends, and myself, but for my old Al tank, I take it to someone with an eddy current tester. I don't do this enough to warrent buying that expensive piece of equipment.

My VIP plus are running at 8 dollars each. 6 tanks per year. $48 per year X 3 years = $144. The class is $250. I would actually be loosing money by taking the class.

Time for a little high school math. To make this easy $50 a year for the inspections. $250 for the inital class, $150 for tools/stickers and $50 for the renewal every three years.

N is the number of years

50 * N = total cost at the store

250 + 150 + 50 * N/3 = total cost to do it myself

50 * N = 250 + 150 + 50 * N / 3

N = 12 years. So after 12 years you recoup your money.

$8 for a VIP+ is pretty cheap. Around here VIPs run 10-15. I have 7 cylinders plus they need to be O2 clean which runs $40 a shot at the shop. So my pay back time is quicker.

Also remember if you do this for friends and they slip you a $5, 6 pack of beer, or even free you are now doing this "professionally" and are subject liability if something goes a miss.

As for the shops that want a VIP+ on all AL cylinders tell them to blow themselves - have them fill a HP steel for you whip out your whip and trans fill it. Then give a call to Lufxer and Catalina and tell them that this store is hurting the industry because no one is going to want to buy Al cylinders with all the hoops the "self regulating" diving industry is making folks do.

Northern Diver;
Why not take the course, pay your money then find an LDS to put one or two days a week in. That way you'll be making up the $ difference quickly!
A big plus may be that the shop may give you an employee discount! or order something for you at cost+shipping.:D:D

Back
Top Bottom