Vinyl Coating Weights?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the project is complete.....after 3 coats of Plasti-Dip, a tonne load of paint thinner it is done.

Not quite the results what I was expecting, but it will have to do. The material is good when it's fresh out of a bottle and you can 'dip' the weights in, but then when you have to let it dry for 4 hours in-between coats, the rest of the paint tends to thicken up a bit making the second and third coat harder to apply resulting in a whacky result with visible runs and drip marks, with a very uneven result. But I guess as far as the weights are concerned it will do. I guess I was just expecting that professional look you can get on your bullet weights.

So in short, it is a good product when properly applied. SO if you are planning on doing the same thing, I would recommend buying the spray can as opposed to the 'dip' container and/or brushing on the product making sure then reseal the container between coats. But I guess it is done and now we just have to see how well she holds up to the elements and abuse!

Oh and one more thing....it's a pain taking if off your hands, oddly enough it peels off nicely of the table top, so either wear gloves or have plenty of paint thinner near by for removal.

Aqua Ho,

A little trick for future use.
When you're through with your paint, take a double layer of plasti-wrap or something similar and lay it on top of the remaining paint. Make sure that there is sufficient material to lay on top of the paint and also be able to extend outside of the can.
Once you've placed the plastic on the surface of the paint, pour just enough water on the plastic to make it lie flat against the surface of the paint and then seal the lid.

When you open it again, you can easily pour off the water without spilling the paint and have fresh paint that hasn't been exposed to air for any extended period.

Thanks, now you tell me! Sheesh! :D

But my problem was the size of the weights vs. the size of the original container! I had to pour it out into a another jar to be able to fit in the flat 6lbs weight.....so the re-closing didn't quite work as well as I have liked......no worries though....next time I know better.

You can use the same method with paint in a flat pan if you're going to be using it a couple of hours later.

Sorry about the timing . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom