Vinyl Coating Weights?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
So how is it actually done? What method and coating/material do you use? I asked in 3-4 hardware stores for something that I can coat my weights in, to get that coated finish, but they just looked at me like I was nuts.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever done this?

They sell a liquid rubber material to coat tool handles at most Lowes/Home Depot type stores. You could use this to coat weights. It comes out like the regular rubber grips you get on a tool handle.

You can get plasti-dip or you can get a spray on version called plasti-cote.

Excellent! Thanks!

Now I just have to hunt it down.....funny how no-one at Home Depot knew about it when I asked around.

Aqua Ho:
Excellent! Thanks!

Now I just have to hunt it down.....funny how no-one at Home Depot knew about it when I asked around.

Aqua Ho,

All good advise here already, all I would add is start early on your project as it takes several (many?) coats. Kinda like making a candle, dip and dry , dip and dry.

Plan on a spot where you can hang up the weights and let them drip.

Good Luck,

Tobin

This is one of the reasons I love SB!! :thumb:

...well I got a bottle of the Plasti-Dip, (finally after being to almost 10 different stores) so I shall give it a try tomorrow. Now I just need to find a good way to do it and a container that is the right size to accommodate the weight properly.

Back
Top Bottom